BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

hello team,

I have a case statement, that all have character data type after then, but it gives me error message.

Regards,

blue blue

Blue Blue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Use a simple process of elimination to discover which WHEN clause is generating the wrong type of value.

Comment out some of the lines and see if the error is eliminated or not.  Depending on the result comment out other sections until you have found the offending section (or sections).

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Astounding
PROC Star
I baked a cake but it tastes funny. I did use eggs. What did I do wrong?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Hello, @GN0001 

You have been in this forum long enough now to know that when you get an error message, we need you to show us the LOG for this PROC.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROVIDING THE LOG: We need the ENTIRE log for this PROC, 100% of the log for this PROC, with nothing chopped out, every single character. Copy this portion of the log as text. Click on the </> icon and paste your log as text into the window that appears.

--
Paige Miller
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello team,

It is not doable for me to give you the entire log, it is my work computer. If it was my personal computer, I would have copied and send everything out.

I posted the code.

Thanks,

blue blue

Blue Blue
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Check carefully for unbalanced parentheses and unbalanced quotes.  Especially if you really have named your variable starting with digits so that you need to use name literals to reference them.  That means there are more chances to have messed up the quotes.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@GN0001 wrote:

hello team,

I have a case statement, that all have character data type after then, but it gives me error message.

Regards,

blue blue

There is either a typo you are not seeing or the variables in the source dataset are not the data type you think they are.

Please show the code, preferable the log.  Also show the definition of the input dataset(s).

GN0001
Barite | Level 11

This is the code: This gives error and the affected code is where joins are: Thanks, blue blue

Proc sql;
create table table_out as
select distinct c.*,
case
when (not missing(25percentile) and rate *100 < 25percentile) then '<25'
when (not missing(25percentile) and rate *100 >=25percentile and rate <50percentile) then '25'
when (not missing(50percentile) and rate *100 >=50percentile and rate <75percentile) then '50'
when (not missing(75percentile) and rate *100 >=75percentile and rate <80percentile) then '75'
when(not missing (80percentile) and rate *100 >80percentile) then 'done'
else 'error'
end as thisjunk
, from lefttable c left join.....

Blue Blue
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That code cannot work.   You cannot have a variable whose name starts with a digit.

GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Where are you referring?
Blue Blue
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Here I put digit but in real world it starts with BQ_.

Thanks,

blue blue

Blue Blue
GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Can you please let me know which line? I don’t have variables with digits!
Thanks
Blue green
Blue Blue
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

sorry, I noticed it, in real world it starts with letters. It is QB_25, QB_50,..

Thanks,

blue greeen

Blue Blue
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Use a simple process of elimination to discover which WHEN clause is generating the wrong type of value.

Comment out some of the lines and see if the error is eliminated or not.  Depending on the result comment out other sections until you have found the offending section (or sections).

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 4 in conversation