BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Epid
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear SAS users,

I have a list 32K articles and want to have first author's country based on their domain of email information.  

For example, 

emailCountry
xxxx@lumc.nlNetherlands
xxxx@hku.hkHong Kong

Am I able to use any SAS  to have column "Country" from "email" column?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance,

BR,

Epi

5 REPLIES 5
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Yes within some limits:

proc format lib=work;
    value $country
     'nl' = 'Netherland'
     'hk' = 'Hong Kong'
; run;
data want;
 set have;
       code = scan(email,-1,'.');
      country = putc(code,$country.);
run;

Pay attention that in some emails there may be no country code,

as in xxxxxx@gmail.com   or xxxxxx@yahoo.com etc.

Epid
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Shmuel, So, I have to list all countries like 'nl'='Netherlands'. 

What if there are more than one email addresses in one cell? I only need to use the first email address. Please advise me how I can deal in that case. 

Thanks again,

Epi

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

1) Create the format with as many countries as you can add a line with

proc format lib=work;
    value $country
     'nl' = 'Netherland'
     'hk' = 'Hong Kong'
    other = "*unKnown*"   /* choose any text you prefer */
; run;

2) In case there are more than one email, you need to select which is preferred or add a country per email (email1-country1  email2-country2 ...)

If you post a sample of your data in a form of a data step with input from datalines. I'll be able

to propose some available code to deal with.

Epid
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Shmuel,

Sorry for my delayed response. Thanks a lot. 

I have 32K data like this. I wanna add one column with country name based on domain of first email address. If domain is like .edu; .com etc then leave as empty.

Thanks again,

TypeAuthorsNameSourceLanguageAuthor KeywordsEmail Addresses
JJo, S; Kim, S; Shin, DH; Kim, MSJo, Seri; Kim, Suwon; Shin, Dong Hae; Kim, Mi-SunJOURNAL OF ENZYME INHIBITION AND MEDICINAL CHEMISTRYEnglishSARS-CoV; SARS-CoV 3CLpro; flavonoid; FRET; inhibitory compoundsdhshin55@ewha.ac.kr; shfwk31@ewha.ac.kr
JBeury, D; Flechon, L; Maurier, F; Caboche, S; Varre, JS; Touzet, H; Faure, K; Dubuisson, J; Hot, D; Guery, B; Goffard, ABeury, Delphine; Flechon, Lea; Maurier, Florence; Caboche, Segolene; Varre, Jean-Stephane; Touzet, Helene; Faure, Karine; Dubuisson, Jean; Hot, David; Guery, Benoit; Goffard, AnneJOURNAL OF CLINICAL VIROLOGYEnglishHuman coronavirus; Whole genome sequencing; Hematopoietic cell transplant; Care-associated infections; Phylogenetic analysesdelphine.beury@pasteur-lille.fr; lea.flechon.etu@univ-lille.fr; florence.maurier@pasteur-lille.fr; segolene.caboche@pasteur-lille.fr; jean-stephane.varre@lifl.fr; helene.touzet@lifl.fr; karine.faure@univ-lille.fr; jean.dubuisson@ibl.cnrs.fr; david.hot@pasteur-lille.fr; Benoit.Guery@unil.ch; anne.goffard@univ-lille.fr
JChecovich, MM; Barlow, S; Shult, P; Reisdorf, E; Temte, JLChecovich, Mary M.; Barlow, Shari; Shult, Peter; Reisdorf, Erik; Temte, Jonathan L.JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL DIRECTORS ASSOCIATIONEnglishLong-term care; acute respiratory infection; rapid influenza diagnostic testing; influenzamary.checovich@fammed.wisc.edu

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@Epid wrote:

Thanks Shmuel, So, I have to list all countries like 'nl'='Netherlands'. 

What if there are more than one email addresses in one cell? I only need to use the first email address. Please advise me how I can deal in that case. 

Thanks again,

Epi

I am sure that icann (or maybe mozilla) has a usable list that you can import and use to create the format.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation