BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
delgaa07
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am a healthcare investigator and am looking to have a model I am trying to make include interaction terms. My only problem is that when I include the interaction effects into the MODEL statement, I sometimes will get the interaction effects without the main effects in the model. I want to know how I might be able to keep the main effects in the model along with an interaction effect. 

Here is my code:

%macro elasticnet (l2_cust_low, l2_cust_high);
ods select CoefficientPanel ASEPlot ParameterEstimates FitStatistics;
proc glmselect data=data.resilience3 plots=all seed=712;
title1 "SELECTION=ELASTICNET(L2SEARCH=GOLDEN L2LOW= &l2_cust_low L2HIGH= &l2_cust_high))";
title2 "Primary Analysis";
partition fraction(test=0.3);
class 	sex(ref='0') nonhisp_black(ref='0') nonhisp_white(ref='0') hispanic(ref='0') Married(ref='0') single(ref='0')
		ged_hsdiploma(ref='0') Assoc_Bachelor(ref='0') graduate(ref='0') Tetra_abc(ref='0') para_abc(ref='0')
		sleep(ref='0') pain_interfere2(ref='0') Healthsts_pos(ref='0') fyear_1(ref='0') fyear_5(ref='0') fyear_10(ref='0') 
		fyear_15(ref='0') fyear_20_25(ref='0') fyear_30plus(ref='0');
model BRsTScr2 = age sex nonhisp_black nonhisp_white hispanic Married single  
					ged_hsdiploma Assoc_Bachelor graduate Tetra_abc para_abc
					fyear_5 fyear_10 fyear_15 fyear_20_25 fyear_30plus
					BSFBMTS2 BSFSCTS2 BSFFMoTS2 sleep pain pain_interfere2 Healthsts_pos 
					BCHPITot2 BCHMbTot2 BCHOpTot2 BCHSocIn2 depression life_sat pain*depression / 
					SELECTION=ELASTICNET(L2SEARCH=GOLDEN L2LOW= &l2_cust_low L2HIGH= &l2_cust_high choose = cv) 
					cvmethod=split(10) hierarchy=none showpvalues;

run;
%MEND elasticnet;

%elasticnet(0,0.1);
%elasticnet(0.1,0.2);
%elasticnet(0.2,0.3);
%elasticnet(0.3,0.4);
%elasticnet(0.4,0.5);
%elasticnet(0.5,0.6);
%elasticnet(0.6,0.7);
%elasticnet(0.7,0.8);
%elasticnet(0.8,0.9);
%elasticnet(0.9,1);

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For some selection methods, you can use HIERARCHY=SINGLE or INCLUDE=n to force terms to stay in the model. However, the elastic net method does not support those options. 

I think the best you can do is to run the procedure twice. The first time, use the SELECTION=ELASTICNET method to choose effects for the model. Then run the procedure again using SELECTION=NONE to fit the model, but force the main effects that you want in the model. The first run creates the _GLSIND macro variable, which contains the selected effects.  Therefore, if the pain*depression effect is selected, the second model will be

MODEL BRsTScr2 = pain depression &_GLSIND / selection=none;

For your example, in your 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For some selection methods, you can use HIERARCHY=SINGLE or INCLUDE=n to force terms to stay in the model. However, the elastic net method does not support those options. 

I think the best you can do is to run the procedure twice. The first time, use the SELECTION=ELASTICNET method to choose effects for the model. Then run the procedure again using SELECTION=NONE to fit the model, but force the main effects that you want in the model. The first run creates the _GLSIND macro variable, which contains the selected effects.  Therefore, if the pain*depression effect is selected, the second model will be

MODEL BRsTScr2 = pain depression &_GLSIND / selection=none;

For your example, in your 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation