BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jeremy4
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have two datasets (cd.dataset_one and cd.dataset_two) and would like to create a table by left joining cd.dataset_one onto cd.dataset_one (the code I currently have is below). As I am matching the 'tracking_month' variable from dataset 1 and 'month_end' variable from dataset 2, would it be possible for someone to provide me with code to format the dates to recognise each other when I run the proc sql (the preference is to use the 'tracking_month' format so that dataset 2 has 'month_end' 30APR2017 converted to 201704, for example)? Thanks!

Current code:

data cd.dataset_two_update;

set cd.dataset_two;

[NOTE: Can the date format for 'month_end' variable be changed in this line of code here, or after 'run;' below so that the proc sql table below takes on the preferred date format?]

run;

proc sql;
   create table FLAG_NUMBERS as
   select a.tracking_month, a.ACCT_ID, a.flag
   from cd.dataset_two_update as a
   left join cd.dataset_one as b
   on a.month_end = b.tracking_month and a.ACCOUNT_ID = b.ACCT_ID
order by a.ACCT_ID
;
quit;

cd.dataset_one (dataset 1)

Tracking month format.PNG

cd.dataset_two (dataset 2)

Month end format.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

The value in your dataset_two is actually a DATE value which can be determined by the DATE format. The other value in the first set is a simple numeric value and not a date.

Your tracking_month variable does not have a day of the month so you would very likely not actually match the month_end.

The first step would be to create a date value from the tracking month. That looks like you should be able to do that with

input(put(tracking_month,6 -L), yymmn6.) which will create a date that has the first day of the month assumed.

If you want the actual month and year to match between the two then you would need to get the same actual date which would look like

input(put(tracking_month,6 -L), yymmn6.) = intnx('month',month_end,0,'B')

The intnx function is used to increment date, time or datetime values. The first parameter is the interval, month in this case, second is the starting date value, 3rd is the number of intervals to increment, 0 means the same month here, and the optional last parameter is alignment with 'B' means "beginning" so the intnx function returns the first day of the month in the same month and year.

Assigned formats of numeric values never affect comparisons as the actual values are used.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

The value in your dataset_two is actually a DATE value which can be determined by the DATE format. The other value in the first set is a simple numeric value and not a date.

Your tracking_month variable does not have a day of the month so you would very likely not actually match the month_end.

The first step would be to create a date value from the tracking month. That looks like you should be able to do that with

input(put(tracking_month,6 -L), yymmn6.) which will create a date that has the first day of the month assumed.

If you want the actual month and year to match between the two then you would need to get the same actual date which would look like

input(put(tracking_month,6 -L), yymmn6.) = intnx('month',month_end,0,'B')

The intnx function is used to increment date, time or datetime values. The first parameter is the interval, month in this case, second is the starting date value, 3rd is the number of intervals to increment, 0 means the same month here, and the optional last parameter is alignment with 'B' means "beginning" so the intnx function returns the first day of the month in the same month and year.

Assigned formats of numeric values never affect comparisons as the actual values are used.

jeremy4
Quartz | Level 8
Hi, thanks for your reply. I added in your code and edited it to reference the two datasets (adding a. and b.) but SAS provided me with the following error relating to the '6 -L' part of the code:

on input(put(a.tracking_month,6 -L), yymmn6.) = intnx('month',b.month_end,0,'B')
_
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a format name, ?.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

[Edited]

on input(put(a.tracking_month,6. -L), yymmn6.) = intnx('month',b.month_end,0,'B')

Which begs the question: Have you tried to understand the reply?

ballardw
Super User

@jeremy4 wrote:
Hi, thanks for your reply. I added in your code and edited it to reference the two datasets (adding a. and b.) but SAS provided me with the following error relating to the '6 -L' part of the code:

on input(put(a.tracking_month,6 -L), yymmn6.) = intnx('month',b.month_end,0,'B')
_
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a format name, ?.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

Post any error message with the entire data step or procedure call. Copy from the LOG and paste into a code box opened with the forum's {I} or "running man" icon. The _ character will be under the part with the problem most of the time.

In this case, because of a distraction on my part I missed the . after 6 that indicates the format to use for put

on input(put(a.tracking_month,6. -L), yymmn6.) = intnx('month',b.month_end,0,'B')

Since I did not have any actual data set (HINT) to test code with I missed the error.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Tracking_Month does not look like a date. It looks like a 6 digit number.  Sounds like you want to treat the ones and tens place as a month number and the other four places as the year number.

So either convert TRACK_MONTH to a date value that is the end of the month 

on a.month_end = intnx('month',input(put(b.tracking_month,z6.),yymmn6.),0,'end')

Or convert the date MONTH_END to a number using that  YYY,YMM style.

on input(put(a.month_end,yymmn6.),6.) = b.tracking_month

Example:

1016  data one(keep=month_end) two(keep=tracking_month);
1017   month_end='30APR2017'd ;
1018   format month_end date9.;
1019   tracking_month=201704;
1020  run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.ONE has 1 observations and 1 variables.
NOTE: The data set WORK.TWO has 1 observations and 1 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.02 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

1022  proc sql;
1023  create table test1 as select *
1024    from one a inner join two b
1025      on a.month_end = intnx('month',input(put(b.tracking_month,z6.),yymmn6.),0,'end')
1026  ;
NOTE: Table WORK.TEST1 created, with 1 rows and 2 columns.

1027  create table test2 as select *
1028    from one a inner join two b
1029      on input(put(a.month_end,yymmn6.),6.) = b.tracking_month
1030  ;
NOTE: Table WORK.TEST2 created, with 1 rows and 2 columns.

1031  quit;
NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):
      real time           0.03 seconds
      cpu time            0.03 seconds

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

or transform each a bit:

on put(a.month_end,yymmn6.) = put(b.tracking_month,6.)

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If tracking_month is effectively a 6-digit number (e.g. 201804), I would rather deal with numbers (instead of going to characters and back)

proc sql;
select *
from one left join two  
    on intnx("month", month_end, 0, "beginning") = 
        mdy(mod(tracking_month, 100), 1, floor(tracking_month/100));
quit;

Note Since you are joining on months, doing so on beginnings or ends is equivalent. In this case, joining on beginnings is a bit simpler because the day is always 1.

PG

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation