create table laps_full as
select A.*, B.ref_desc

from laps As A
left join reason_ref as B
on (B.ref_code = A.rsn_cd
and A.src_app_cd = B.src_type_code)
;
quit;

can someone please help me understand why I get the error. I checked the view with alias B and all the columns are present in that view.

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

The SAS log isn't usually wrong with that regard. Can you show a proc contents output from each table?

Makes sure to look at the names and labels. And the actual log. 

proc contents data=laps;
run;

proc contents data=reason_ref;
run;

@mith123 wrote:

proc sql;
select A.*, B.ref_desc

from laps As A
;
quit;

can someone please help me understand why I get the error. I checked the view with alias B and all the columns are present in that view.

@mith123 wrote:

proc sql;
select A.*, B.ref_desc

from laps As A
;
quit;

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

How did you "check the view"? Did you use it as source in a data step, or open it in a table viewer?

The view code itself is not a measure. You can successfully define a SQL view although variables are not present in the source table(s).

You need to check all tables used in the view.

Sasuser2024
Calcite | Level 5

when you use proc contents and look at the table you will see that SAS has label names and variable names separately but linked. So, you might be using the label name that caused the error. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Columns?  Do you mean variables? 

• Do the variables with a NAME value of ref_desc, ref_code and src_type_code exist in the dataset referenced as B?  Run PROC CONTENTS and check.

View?  Is the dataset referenced a B a VIEW? 

• What is the definition of the view?  Perhaps the datasets that the view queries have changed so that one or more of those three variables no longer exist or have different names.
  • Is it a view into some foreign database?  Does that database use case sensitive variable naming (examples include postgresql and Redshift).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation