BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mklangley
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I am looking for a simpler solution to transform the HAVE data into the format shown in WANT. The data in HAVE needs to be split by type, transposed, then joined by id. In the transposition, the type variable is used as the new columns and the amt variable are the value to transpose. The id variable is the common variable in the join.

The data is ordered by type and id, ascending. There could be any number of types--right now, HAVE contains four ("a" through "d"). In HAVE, there are 5 rows for each type. Note that the id starting number for each type increments. For the first type, id goes from 1 to 5, then for the next type, id goes from 2 to 6, then from 3 to 7, and so on.

The number of rows for each type is always the consistent within HAVE, although it may not always be 5; it could be 10, or 100. Hence the desire for a dynamic (not hard-coded) solution.

One approach is to split HAVE by type into intermediate datasets (i.e., all the type = "a" data, all the type = "b" data, etc.), transpose each of these, then join them all together by id. But I'm wondering if there is a simpler way that doesn't require numerous intermediate datasets and joins. (For the PROC TRANSPOSE pros: Can this all be done with a single PROC TRANSPOSE statement?)

Here is the starting data:

data have;
    input type $ id amt;
    datalines;
a 1 99
a 2 98
a 3 97
a 4 96
a 5 95
b 2 94
b 3 93
b 4 92
b 5 91
b 6 90
c 3 89
c 4 88
c 5 87
c 6 86
c 7 85
d 4 84
d 5 83
d 6 82
d 7 81
d 8 80
    ;
run;

This is the desired output:

data want;
    input id a b c d;
    datalines;
1 99 .  .  .
2 98 94 .  .
3 97 93 89 .
4 96 92 88 84
5 95 91 87 83
6 .  90 86 82
7 .  .  85 81
8 .  .  .  80
    ;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

A straightforward transpose seems to work correctly here. Is there something in this output that doesn't align with what you're looking to achieve?

proc sort data=have;
by id;
run;

proc transpose data=have out=want;
by id;
id type;
var amt;
run;

@mklangley wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for a simpler solution to transform the HAVE data into the format shown in WANT. The data in HAVE needs to be split by type, transposed, then joined by id. In the transposition, the type variable is used as the new columns and the amt variable are the value to transpose. The id variable is the common variable in the join.

The data is ordered by type and id, ascending. There could be any number of types--right now, HAVE contains four ("a" through "d"). In HAVE, there are 5 rows for each type. Note that the id starting number for each type increments. For the first type, id goes from 1 to 5, then for the next type, id goes from 2 to 6, then from 3 to 7, and so on.

The number of rows for each type is always the consistent within HAVE, although it may not always be 5; it could be 10, or 100. Hence the desire for a dynamic (not hard-coded) solution.

One approach is to split HAVE by type into intermediate datasets (i.e., all the type = "a" data, all the type = "b" data, etc.), transpose each of these, then join them all together by id. But I'm wondering if there is a simpler way that doesn't require numerous intermediate datasets and joins.

data have;
    input type $ id amt;
    datalines;
a 1 99
a 2 98
a 3 97
a 4 96
a 5 95
b 2 94
b 3 93
b 4 92
b 5 91
b 6 90
c 3 89
c 4 88
c 5 87
c 6 86
c 7 85
d 4 84
d 5 83
d 6 82
d 7 81
d 8 80
    ;
run;

data want;
    input id a b c d;
    datalines;
1 99 .  .  .
2 98 94 .  .
3 97 93 89 .
4 96 92 88 84
5 95 91 87 83
6 .  90 86 82
7 .  .  85 81
8 .  .  .  80
    ;
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

A straightforward transpose seems to work correctly here. Is there something in this output that doesn't align with what you're looking to achieve?

proc sort data=have;
by id;
run;

proc transpose data=have out=want;
by id;
id type;
var amt;
run;

@mklangley wrote:

Hello,

One approach is to split HAVE by type into intermediate datasets (i.e., all the type = "a" data, all the type = "b" data, etc.), transpose each of these, then join them all together by id. But I'm wondering if there is a simpler way that doesn't require numerous intermediate datasets and joins.

data have;
    input type $ id amt;
    datalines;
a 1 99
a 2 98
a 3 97
a 4 96
a 5 95
b 2 94
b 3 93
b 4 92
b 5 91
b 6 90
c 3 89
c 4 88
c 5 87
c 6 86
c 7 85
d 4 84
d 5 83
d 6 82
d 7 81
d 8 80
    ;
run;

data want;
    input id a b c d;
    datalines;
1 99 .  .  .
2 98 94 .  .
3 97 93 89 .
4 96 92 88 84
5 95 91 87 83
6 .  90 86 82
7 .  .  85 81
8 .  .  .  80
    ;
run;

mklangley
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks, @Reeza -- yes, this simple transpose is working great! It turns out my actual dataset had been sorted incorrectly (not by id), so the transpose was not working properly. I was definitely overthinking this. Thanks for your second set of eyes.

ballardw
Super User

I don't know what you think a "split" would be.

For your example Have data set:

proc sort data=have;
   by id type;
run;

proc transpose data=have out=trans (drop=_name_);
   by id;
   id type;
   var amt;
run;

seems to work as desired.

Warning, if you have multiple values of the same Type for any given ID this won't work.

@mklangley wrote:

Hello,

One approach is to split HAVE by type into intermediate datasets (i.e., all the type = "a" data, all the type = "b" data, etc.), transpose each of these, then join them all together by id. But I'm wondering if there is a simpler way that doesn't require numerous intermediate datasets and joins. (For the PROC TRANSPOSE pros: Can this all be done with a single PROC TRANSPOSE statement?)

data have;
    input type $ id amt;
    datalines;
a 1 99
a 2 98
a 3 97
a 4 96
a 5 95
b 2 94
b 3 93
b 4 92
b 5 91
b 6 90
c 3 89
c 4 88
c 5 87
c 6 86
c 7 85
d 4 84
d 5 83
d 6 82
d 7 81
d 8 80
    ;
run;

data want;
    input id a b c d;
    datalines;
1 99 .  .  .
2 98 94 .  .
3 97 93 89 .
4 96 92 88 84
5 95 91 87 83
6 .  90 86 82
7 .  .  85 81
8 .  .  .  80
    ;
run;

mklangley
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
This works, too. Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation