BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Good morning, Sure

frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

HI  Novinosrin,

Please can you recommend a book/journal/publication on Hash Object that can take me from beginner to pro?

Thanks,

Paul

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Good morning @frupaul  Here it is

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Community-Matters/Book-Data-Management-Solutions-Using-SAS-Hash-Table...

Nothing /Nobody beats that book or Paul Dorfman. Do read that, you are the next Paul as your name already being paul with prefix fru will bear fruit.

By the way, I have just made it to my college lab as the morning trains were running late. I saw your other post and I noticed few responses. Since we both like hash, I will have a fun response with hash too in a bit

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @frupaul,

The authors of the book @novinosrin has recommended are of course world-class SAS programmers and you can learn many SAS tricks from their long professional experience.

To get a taste of their writing style (and, above all, of the hash object) you could read their 2017 paper Beyond Table Lookup: The Versatile SAS® Hash Object, which is closely related to their book.

When I started learning hash object programming there was only Michele M. Burlew's book "SAS® Hash Object Programming Made Easy". In October 2016 I wrote a customer review (titled "Valuable resource for intermediate and advanced SAS programmers") about it on a very well known online bookseller's website.

As the hash object has become one of my must-have tools, I've recently purchased the PDF version of the Dorfman/Henderson book (as a sort of "next-level sequel").

frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Guys,

I have now got hold of the book novinosrin  recommended. It is a simple read.

Can any of you recommend a book on do loops please?

Thanks

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @frupaul,

I doubt that there is a book devoted to DO loops alone, but there are conference papers on this topic. Two prominent examples:

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@frupaul I believe you should get hold of Ron cody's Learning SAS by Example: A Programmer's Guide, Second Edition.

It is only safe to be aware  @FreelanceReinh's standards are among the  best in the world although his humility/modesty might not show that , but the reality for us folks (like you and I) is that  we might find the learning curve bit too steep to read Dorfman alike authors. Therefore, my sincere and humble suggestion is to start  learning with detailed examples portrayed in Ron cody's , then perhaps look into Art carpenter's book and beyond. HTH & Thank you!

Ksharp
Super User
data Hierarchy;
 INFILE DATALINES DLM='' missover;
 length CustID $10 L1 $20 L2 $20 L3 $20 L4 $20 L5 $20 L6 $20 L7 $20 L8 $20;
 input CustID  $ L1 $ L2 $ L3 $ L4 $ L5 $ L6 $  L7 $ L8 $;
 cards;
 1 James James Luke Tom Anthony Matthew Jake Brudhy
 2 Peter Peter Raymond Raymond Peter Luke
 ;
data want;
 set Hierarchy;
 array x{*} $ L:;
 array y{9999} $ 100 _temporary_;
 call missing(of y{*});
 j=0;
 do i=1 to dim(x);
   if x{i} not in y then do;j+1;y{j}=x{i};end;
 end;
 do i=1 to dim(x);
   x{i}=y{i};
 end;
 drop i j;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation