BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RandyStan
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear All:

My SAS Data is as follows

Date                   Group    Var_A

02OCT2020          0          22

02OCT2020          1          28

02OCT2020            2         33

03OCT2020            0         55

03OCT2020           1        75

03OCT2020           2        86

I want to take the mean of VAR_A by excluding Group 0 from the calculation.  There is a long method of doing this by creating a new data set excluding 0.  Is there a shorter way to do this so that I can preserve the data set.

Thanks much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star
Getting the means is easy. PROC steps support the WHERE statement:

proc means data=have;
var var_a;
where group ne 0;
run;

You still have to decide whether you want a separate mean for each date, and whether you want to merge the results back into the original data.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

One way to get the mean, or other statistics, would be:

Proc Means data=have mean;
   where group ne 0;
   var var_a;
run;

IF you want a data set you should provide what you want as a result as there are a number of ways to do this but specifics may change based on desired content.

Astounding
PROC Star
Getting the means is easy. PROC steps support the WHERE statement:

proc means data=have;
var var_a;
where group ne 0;
run;

You still have to decide whether you want a separate mean for each date, and whether you want to merge the results back into the original data.
Reeza
Super User

Making huge assumptions that you're doing it by date and want to add the mean to the data set.

proc sql;
create table summary as
select date, group, var_a, sum(case when group ne 0 then var_a else 0 end)/sum(case when group ne 0 then 1 else 0 end) as avg_minus_group0
from have
group by date
order by 1, 2, 3;
quit;

@RandyStan wrote:

Dear All:

My SAS Data is as follows

Date                   Group    Var_A

02OCT2020          0          22

02OCT2020          1          28

02OCT2020            2         33

03OCT2020            0         55

03OCT2020           1        75

03OCT2020           2        86

I want to take the mean of VAR_A by excluding Group 0 from the calculation.  There is a long method of doing this by creating a new data set excluding 0.  Is there a shorter way to do this so that I can preserve the data set.

Thanks much

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Reeza wrote:

Making huge assumptions that you're doing it by date and want to add the mean to the data set.

proc sql;
create table summary as
select date, group, var_a, sum(case when group ne 0 then var_a else 0 end)/sum(case when group ne 0 then 1 else 0 end) as avg_minus_group0
from have
group by date
order by 1, 2, 3;
quit;

This does not give a correct answer if one or more values of var_a is missing. PROC MEANS, on the other hand, gives the correct answer if one or more values of var_a is missing.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User
Nope, it won't. But OP hasn't explained their requirements well enough. Proc Means is multiple steps and I have the impression they'd like to avoid that....but it's definitely a guess.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

PROC SQL knows how to take a MEAN also.

select date
     , group
     , var_a
     , mean(case when group ne 0 then var_a else . end) as avg_minus_group0
from have
group by date

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation