BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
michokwu
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Experts,

I want to drop some variables from a dataset with over 200 variables. The variable names are unique but are grouped using a common prefix/characters. 

The following variables table is a sample obtained using the code below. For example, I would like to drop the range of variables starting with AA01 - AA03, variables that start with 'LICAT' and variables containing 'XY' and 'BC'. Thank you.

proc contents data=moi.industry out=moi.names(keep=name) noprint ; run;
NAME
AA08
AA01Z08
AA01Y08
AA02Z08
AA02Y08
AA03Z08
AA03Y08
AA04Z08
AA04Y08
AA05Z08
AA05Y08
BBCY08
BBCZ08
LICATY08
LICATN08
WXY01Y08
WXY01X08
7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
proc sql noprint;
    select name into :names separated by ' ' from moi.names 
      where name eqt 'LICAT' or name?'XY' or name?'BC';
quit;

Then in a data step

drop &names;
--
Paige Miller
michokwu
Quartz | Level 8

@PaigeMiller  Thank you. It works, except for the range AA01 - AA03.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@michokwu wrote:

@PaigeMiller  Thank you. It works, except for the range AA01 - AA03.

You have the change the WHERE clause in PROC SQL to select variables whose names begin with AA01-AA03. Since I showed you how to delete names that begin with LICAT, I leave deleting names that begin with AA01-AA03 up to you as a homework assignment.

--
Paige Miller
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@michokwu,

For prefixed variables, it's very easy.  You can use the colon as a wild card.  For example in the data step below, all variables starting with "AA01" - "AA03" and "LICAT."

DATA  moi.names;
    DROP  AA01:;
    DROP  AA02:;
    DROP  AA03:;
    DROP  LICAT:;
    SET  moi.industry;
RUN;

Jim

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Unfortunately the above answer doesn't take care of "XY" embedded in the middle of a variable.  However, since the "XY's" all are prefixed with a "W", you could code:

DATA	Moi.Names;
	DROP  WXY:;	
    DROP  AA01:;
    DROP  AA02:;
    DROP  AA03:;
    DROP  LICAT:;
	SET	Moi.INDUSTRY;
RUN;

Which would give you:

Wildcard_Drop_Results_2020-09-02_12-04-28.jpg

Jim

michokwu
Quartz | Level 8

@jimbarbour  Thanks. Surprisingly, it works for me. I don't  really want to write out all the prefixes, that's why I'm trying to use a range of variables

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

I understand. In that case, it's better to go with what @PaigeMiller suggested.  Would you like help with that or do understand what he was suggesting?

However, save the colon wildcard in the back of your mind somewhere.  It is a useful technique.  If you prefix all your work variables with an underscore, you can code a single drop statement such that no work variables wind up in your Production data.  For example:

DATA Prod.Very_Important_Data;
    DROP  _:;
    SET Input.Source_Data;
     _Daily_Amount = Annual_Amount / 365;
    _Standardized_Quarter = (30 * 3);
     Quarterly_Amount = _Daily_Amount * _Standardized_Quarter;
RUN;

The above example is a bit contrived, but in this case _Daily_Amount and _Standardized_Quarter are removed from the final results because of the Drop statement.  In a program with dozens of intermediate or work variables, the colon modifier is very handy.

Jim

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation