jane@gmail.com Analysis Jill
ana@gmail.com Consult Jones, Jack

I want data that looks like this

user service consultant
jack@gmail.com Meeting Jones
jack@gmail.com Meeting Jack
ana@gmail.com Analysis Jones
ana@gmail.com Analysis Jack

There are a few parts of this, 1) I want to remove Jill 2) I want to break out when one service has multiple consultants assigned, I want to break them up so that I can analyze each consultant's workload. I have tried to break it out by using this but it's not working

if consultant = 'Jill' then consultant = '';
   SUB = 'Jill';
   STR_LEN = length(consultants);
   SUB_LEN = length(SUB);
   POS = find(consultants,SUB,-STR_LEN);
   consultant = kupdate(STR,POS,SUB_LEN+1);                

I appreciate any insight you all have.

Thanks!!

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

Is the variable actually named CONSULTANT or is it CONSULTANTS?

At any rate, here is an approach you can use.

data want;
   set have;
   length name $ 20;
   do i=1 by 1 until (name = ' ');
      name = scan(consultant, i, ',');
      if name not in (' ', 'Jill') then output;
   end;
   drop consultant i;
run;
mkeintz
PROC Star

I think you want to find all instances of a single consultant, and remove that consultants names from all other multi-name consultants.   And you also want to output one record for each surviving name in a multi-name consultants value:

data want (drop=_:);
  set have;
  if _n_=1 then do;
declare hash singles(dataset:"have(where=(countw(consultants,',')=1))"); singles.definekey('consultants'); singles.definedata(all:'Y'); singles.definedone(); end;
do _c=1 to countw(consultants); consultant=scan(consultants,_c); if singles.check(key:consultant)^=0 then output; end; run;

Note I changed the initial variable name from consultant to consultants, and made a new variable in the WANT dataset (consultant).

This loads all the single-name instances of consultants into the memory-resident hash object singles.  It then loops though each consultant in consultants.  If that consultant is not in singles then output.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation