BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9

Apologies if this is outside the scope of this forum.

My issue is that I have a folder that has 100 SAS programs, 50 are production programs and the other 50 are validation. These programs get generated by an automated process and therefore list the Windows Explorer 'Owner' as the machine that ran the automated process.

My issue is that I need a way for a programmer to be able to easily distinguish between 'production' programs and 'validation' programs. For example, if the production programmer and validation programmer had created these programs on their respective machines they could easily use filter on the Owner field to get their programs.

The files in the directory look like this, where the v prefix indicates a validation program and the non-prefixed are production:

01_VS.sas

01_vVS.sas

02_CHEM.sas

02_vCHEM.sas

03_HEMA.sas

03_vHEMA.sas

Is there a way I can add an attribute to these files to make them easily sortable?  e.g. when the automated process creates these sas programs can a descirption or tag be added? 

Any other thoughts on how to get around this? An alternative would be to keep production / validation in separate folders i suppose.

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Keeping the two types in separate folders is the easiest option in my opinion.

ballardw
Super User

I am not aware of any easy way to add attribute to files or how to tell Windows Explorer to use them.

If you change your naming convention so that a sort works is the only way I could do this in a single folder. That would mean the First characters would have to indicate the Production/validation status such as : V-03_Hema.SAS

Windows doesn't really do case on file names very well either so these might be tad problematic to begin with:

01_VS.sas

01_vVS.sas

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation