BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Malthe
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am part of a research-group where we look at data from a specific patient-group. Often we have to calculate scores, measures etc based on the same type raw-data. Therefore macros are essential to us and we use them frequently. But it could be made a lot easier:

When you invoke a function/macro that is defined by SAS-itself, you get a tooltip/help box. If you define a custom macro, in that same program, you will get a tooltip as well:

tooltip.jpg

But this doesn't happen if you load the macros with the %include-function (which we often do).

Is there a way to make this help-text/tooltip visible to make input easier?

Thanks in advance for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I'm afraid you can't; the editor can only "see" what it has in the editing buffer, or what it "knows" from prior knowledge (about the predefined macros). Since all it "sees" is the %include statement, it does not know what's in the file; it is as if you used a call to a macro that does not yet exist, but which you plan to write later.

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

I am not familiar with the tooltip function, but you could try submitting the %INCLUDE statements that define the macros, so that SAS knows them. Or perhaps move the macros to an autocall (SASAUTOS) folder, instead of using %INCLUDE.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

It is interesting that tooltips appear for SAS-issued macros. If you get no answer here, ask tech support what mechanism is used for this to happen. Maybe you can leverage that mechanism. 

Malthe
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for all your answers 🙂 

I hoped for a simple solution other than running the macro in each program-instance. The SAS-autocall might be a solution, but seems a bit too technical for me to grapple with at the moment. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation