BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Q1983
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
options validvarname=v7;
data My_Report;
infile '/myshare/report1.csv' 
delimiter = ','  firstobs=2 ;
input Item_ID $9.     /*$ 1-9 $9. */			
			Item_Type $7.    /*$11-16    $7.*/
			Description $
Email $ ;run;

The above code produces this

Item_ID Item_Type Description Email      
MRG570-15 ,CENTRAL XYZ Cert manning@email.com  
MRG570-15 ,CENTRAL XYZ Cert jrobinsonsmith@myemail.com
MRG570-15 ,CENTRAL XYZ Cert walterjones@remmington.Com

1. Notice in Item_Type it begins with the comma 
I want the data to read to the comma delimiter then read the next variable.  In this case it began with the comma.

2. In the Description it only reads the first 8 places.  XYZ Cert.  It is not reading to the comma despite me placing the delimiter requirement in the code.  Is there a way to read in the data more clean?? As you can see I tried defining the length however I have other fields to import such as email which will have varying lengths.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please post an example of your csv file, or attach it to the post.

To post an example, open the file with a text editor (not with Excel!) and copy/paste a few lines into a code box opened with the </> button.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I find it is worth the extra line of code to actual DEFINE the variables instead of forcing SAS to guess how to define them based on how they are first used.

Use a LENGTH statement to define the variables.  Use a length of 8 for numeric variables (SAS stores numbers as 64-bit floating point values).  Set the character variables long enough to hold the longest value you expect.  Currently you are letting DESCRIPTION and EMAIL default to length just 8 bytes.  Which is probably too short for variables with names like that.

If you define the variables in the order they appear in the file your INPUT statement can just a position based variable list.

data My_Report;
  infile '/myshare/report1.csv' dsd firstobs=2 truncover ; 
  length Item_ID $9 Item_Type $7 Description $40 Email $50 ;
  input Item_ID -- Email;
run;

The TRUNCOVER option will prevent the INPUT statement from jumping to the next line if there are not enough values on the current line. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation