BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
valarievil
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I have a dataset with 6 variables. one of those variables is state (california, idaho, nevada, ect.) How would I go about excluding states that don't begin with the letter M? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
valarievil
Obsidian | Level 7

data want;
set have;
if state=:'M' then output;
if state=:'N' then output;
else delete;
run;

My goal was to delete all states that did not begin with the letter M or N. This worked for me. thanks all!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mkeintz
PROC Star

Editted note:  this particular example assume STATE is all capital letters.  If not, then use

UPCASE(STATE)

in every place I have used

STATE

If the old days you could

data want;
  set have;
  where state<'M' or state >='N';
run;

But a while ago SAS introduced the "=:" relation, which allows you to:

data want;
  set have;
  where not (state=:'M');
run;

The '"=:" relation, exclusively used for character values, tells SAS to take the two values in question, and see if the shorter one exactly matches the leading characters of the longer one.  By "shorter" and "longer", I don't mean storage length.  Instead I mean the number of characters in the value excluding the trailing blanks.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

valarievil
Obsidian | Level 7

So I have tried this, but it still produces a data set with all states not just the states that begin with the letter M. I think I need a piece of code like this:

data want;

set have;

if state= "M--------" then keep;

else delete;

run;

But i'm not sure how to go about doing that...

SASKiwi
PROC Star

With the IF statement this is one solution. You should read the documentation on the different types of expressions you can use in an IF statement. Trying to guess how statements work is only going to get you frustrated.

This link is a good one to explore: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lrcon&docsetTarget=lrconwhatsnew94.htm&docsetVersion=9.4&loc...

if state =: "M" then output;
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Alternatively: ne is mnemonic for not equal, and eq for equal

where state ne: 'M';
valarievil
Obsidian | Level 7

data want;
set have;
if state=:'M' then output;
if state=:'N' then output;
else delete;
run;

My goal was to delete all states that did not begin with the letter M or N. This worked for me. thanks all!

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@mkeintz:

Mark, instead of upcasing the whole thing, can do:

where state in: ("m","M") ;

which in my WHERE tests against sashelp.zipcode(keep=statecode) times 1000 works more than twice as fast compared to:

where upcase (state) =: "M" ; 

Looks like UPCASE (and also $UPCASE1. - have tested that, too) is much more expensive than testing for another value via IN.

Kind regards

Paul D.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Nice.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation