BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
xxformat_com
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

When looking at https://support.sas.com/kb/34/950.html

I can see that I can use the following code to identify the default template use for a given destination

proc registry list startat="ODS\DESTINATIONS";
run;

Here is a subset of the output

[HTML]      Selected Style="Default"
[MARKUP]    Selected Style="Default"
[HTML4]     Selected Style="HTMLBlue"
[RTF]       Selected Style="Rtf"        
[MONOSPACE] Selected Style="Listing"
[PRINTER]   Selected Style="Pearl"
[PCL]       Selected Style="monochromePrinter"
[RTF]       Selected Style="Rtf"
[SCRIPT]    Selected Style="HTMLBlue"
[EPUB2]     Selected Style="Daisy"
[EPUB3]     Selected Style="Daisy"
[Excel]     Selected Style="Excel"
[html5]     Selected Style="HTMLBlue"
[OPENUI5]   Selected Style="OpenUI5"
[PwrPoint]  Selected Style="PowerPointLight"

But for some of the destinations like the PDF destination, there is no Selected Style information.

Instead, we have

[      PDF]
       Accessible="Off"
       Bookmark List="Show"
       Default Printer="PDF"
       Default State="Off"
       DPI=int:150
       PDF Notes="On"

1/ But I'm not sure how to interpret this output.

2/ Is there any other syntax available, beside proc registry to retrieve the default style used by a destination?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @xxformat_com,

My understanding is that in the SAS Registry the PDF destination is subordinate to the PRINTER destination (i.e., considered as one of the PRINTER destinations) and therefore "inherits" the default style "Pearl" from PRINTER if not otherwise specified. This hierarchy is easier to see in the Registry Editor (accessible from the menu of the Display Manager interface via Solutions → Accessories → Registry Editor) than from the indentations in the output of PROC REGISTRY.

This is consistent with the documentation of the ODS PDF statement where it says:

The default style for PRINTER destinations is Pearl.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @xxformat_com,

My understanding is that in the SAS Registry the PDF destination is subordinate to the PRINTER destination (i.e., considered as one of the PRINTER destinations) and therefore "inherits" the default style "Pearl" from PRINTER if not otherwise specified. This hierarchy is easier to see in the Registry Editor (accessible from the menu of the Display Manager interface via Solutions → Accessories → Registry Editor) than from the indentations in the output of PROC REGISTRY.

This is consistent with the documentation of the ODS PDF statement where it says:

The default style for PRINTER destinations is Pearl.

xxformat_com
Barite | Level 11

As I'm working with SAS Studio I was not familiar with the Regitry Editor. Thanks for that. I'm including a snapshot for people who will read this post.sas_registry_editor.JPG

ballardw
Super User

For what it may be worth, when ODS came about it took me very little time to realize that I didn't like the appearance for most of the default styles associated with any destinations. So I routinely add a STYLE= to any ODS output destination code I use.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation