BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
helannivas88
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a dataset where the datetime column stored as 'DDMONYYYY:HH:MI:SS.mmmmmm'. I want to format to 'YYYY-MM-DD:HH:MI:SS.mmmmmm'.

I have tried with format as e8601dt19. But i got output as '2019-05-20T11:03:22'. I dont want to have T in my output.

Is there any other format that can be used to get the desired output. Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

This is a case where I think you will have to define your own format.  In particular use the PICTURE statement (in PROC FORMAT) with the option (DATATYPE=DATETIME).  This will allow you to use "directives" (the % characters below) to specify year, month, day, hour, minutes, second as well as the colon and dash separators.  You can learn more in 

1. The "datatype" and "directives" parts of Picture Statement , and
  2. Example 7: Change the 24–Hour Clock to 00:00:01–24:00:00 

Here's what you probably can use:

proc format ;
  picture myfmt  
   other= '%Y-%0m-%0d:%0H:%0M:%0S' (datatype=datetime );
run;

data _null_;
   x='20may2019:11:03:22'dt;
   put x=datetime20.  /
       x=e8601dt19.   /
       x=myfmt.;
run;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@helannivas88 wrote:

Hi,

I have a dataset where the datetime column stored as 'DDMONYYYY:HH:MI:SS.mmmmmm'. I want to format to 'YYYY-MM-DD:HH:MI:SS.mmmmmm'.

I have tried with format as e8601dt19. But i got output as '2019-05-20T11:03:22'. I dont want to have T in my output.

Is there any other format that can be used to get the desired output. Thanks in Advance.

I think datetime. is the format you want. Depending on how many decimal places you want after the seconds, you could use datetime19.

--
Paige Miller
mkeintz
PROC Star

This is a case where I think you will have to define your own format.  In particular use the PICTURE statement (in PROC FORMAT) with the option (DATATYPE=DATETIME).  This will allow you to use "directives" (the % characters below) to specify year, month, day, hour, minutes, second as well as the colon and dash separators.  You can learn more in 

1. The "datatype" and "directives" parts of Picture Statement , and
  2. Example 7: Change the 24–Hour Clock to 00:00:01–24:00:00 

Here's what you probably can use:

proc format ;
  picture myfmt  
run;

data _null_;
   x='20may2019:11:03:22'dt;
   put x=datetime20.  /
       x=e8601dt19.   /
       x=myfmt.;
run;
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

helannivas88
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @mkeintz for the picture format. But using the format , Im unable to derive the microseconds(or) milli seconds

For Eg:

proc format ;
  picture myfmt 
run;

data _null_;

x='08FEB2020:18:29:00.000000'dt;

put x=datetime27. /

x=e8601dt19. /

x=myfmt.;

run;

I'm not getting output as 2020-02-08 18:29:00.000000. I tried the picture format as '%Y-%0m-%0d:%0H:%0M:%000000S' (datatype=datetime ) (or) '%Y-%0m-%0d:%0H:%0M:%0S.nnnnnn' (datatype=datetime ) , but nothing works.

Please let me know if we are able to get the desired output. Thanks in Advance.

helannivas88
Obsidian | Level 7

I have changed like below and it worked perfectly.

proc format ;

picture myfmt

other= '%Y-%0m-%0d %0H:%0M:%0s' (datatype=datetime );

run;

data _null_;

x='08FEB2020:18:29:00.022020'dt;

x=myfmt26.6;

run;

mkeintz
PROC Star
Cool!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation