BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sairampulipati
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All, 

I have a dataset in csv format and I can import it to SAS data, but there is particular variable for date and time in the format of 200428202835 (which is YYMMDDHHMMSS). I wanted to read this variable as in proper format like date9. and time5. Is there any option to get above formatted date and time in this format. 

Best Regards,

Sairam 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

One way:

data example;
   x = '200428202835';
   date = input(x,yymmdd6.);
   time = input(substr(x,7), hhmmss.);
   format date date9. time time8.;
run;

You will likely need to read the value as character and then parse because this is a pretty non-typical format.

And talk to whoever is using 2 digit years. Did they not learn anything from Y2K?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

One way:

data example;
   x = '200428202835';
   date = input(x,yymmdd6.);
   time = input(substr(x,7), hhmmss.);
run;

You will likely need to read the value as character and then parse because this is a pretty non-typical format.

And talk to whoever is using 2 digit years. Did they not learn anything from Y2K?

Sairampulipati
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much for the resolution. I would reach to my data manager to check the Y2K. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Sairampulipati wrote:

Thank you very much for the resolution. I would reach to my data manager to check the Y2K. 

If you can get the century digits included then your strings will match the B8601DJ informat.

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=leforinforref&docsetTarget=n1hj2e5ozbucufn1laeoghx9pb6r.htm&...

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Sairampulipati,

Assuming that you are using the most recommended technique for reading CSV files, a DATA step with INPUT statement(s), you can mix input styles and switch to formatted input for just the date part of this particular field.

Example:

data want;
infile cards dsd;
input seqno name $ date yymmdd6. time :hhmmss. amt :dollar.;
cards;
1,John Doe,200428202835,$1234.56
;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation