BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AnnieSun
Calcite | Level 5

I'm new to the SAS family and taking courses from coursera right now.
I am using the SAS University on Mac system.
While i am creating a library called PG1 and run the code. 
The log indicated as follow:
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 4.24.34 PM.png

I did change the path and copy the path from the data folder's property. 

Please help!!
Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Correct, Reeza. Our instructions tell the student to make a main EPG194 folder under their /folders/myfolders location. We do not advise the use of shortcuts because we find the concept of shortcuts only confused the issue of where the data was and it was possible for people to have too many "personal" shortcuts and we needed for the folder name to ALWAYS be the same.

Assuming that the EPG194 folder was correctly made in the /folders/myfolders location on the Mac, and that the creation program ran correctly, then the code should be:
%let path=/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data;
libname pg1 "&path";

for SAS University Edition. And for SAS OnDemand for Academics, the %LET only needs to change to
%let path=/home/yourUserID/EPG194/data;

Here's the video for making the data for University Edition:

https://youtu.be/OZniWlafFEk

If you go to Server Files and Folders and do not see a "My Folders" top level, that means the shared folder location was NOT set up correctly. If all the folders are under My Shortcuts, instead, then that indicates the instructions for setting up shared folders was not followed when University Edition was installed.

Hope this helps,
Cynthia

ps...there is always right clicking and choosing Properties on the EPG194 folder to get the correct location. However, you are correct that there cannot be any spaces in the myfolder name.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you set up UE correctly, the path of the shared folder within the virtual machine starts with /folders/myfolders.

What happens when you use this library?

AnnieSun
Calcite | Level 5

I followed the SAS installation steps. I created the folder named SASUniversityEdition in the documents.
Then I created a folder named "myfolders" and created another folder named "EPG194" where I have my data folder.
I did check the properties again. It still has my path like this "/folders/myshortcuts/myfolders_/EPG194/data"
After I created the library called PG1, there is no data exist in this library.

Reeza
Super User
Notice the _ at the end of myfolders? When you created that folder you accidently left a space in the end of the folder. Rename the folder, deleting the space, restart the VM and reconnect the folder and redo the set up instructions for the course and you'll be good to go.
Reeza
Super User
myshortcuts is for any other shared folder set up, not named myfolders. You can set up many shared folders. It's an indicator that OP did not set up folders correctly when installing SAS UE.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Correct, Reeza. Our instructions tell the student to make a main EPG194 folder under their /folders/myfolders location. We do not advise the use of shortcuts because we find the concept of shortcuts only confused the issue of where the data was and it was possible for people to have too many "personal" shortcuts and we needed for the folder name to ALWAYS be the same.

Assuming that the EPG194 folder was correctly made in the /folders/myfolders location on the Mac, and that the creation program ran correctly, then the code should be:
%let path=/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data;
libname pg1 "&path";

for SAS University Edition. And for SAS OnDemand for Academics, the %LET only needs to change to
%let path=/home/yourUserID/EPG194/data;

Here's the video for making the data for University Edition:

https://youtu.be/OZniWlafFEk

If you go to Server Files and Folders and do not see a "My Folders" top level, that means the shared folder location was NOT set up correctly. If all the folders are under My Shortcuts, instead, then that indicates the instructions for setting up shared folders was not followed when University Edition was installed.

Hope this helps,
Cynthia

ps...there is always right clicking and choosing Properties on the EPG194 folder to get the correct location. However, you are correct that there cannot be any spaces in the myfolder name.

AnnieSun
Calcite | Level 5

OMG!!! Thank you!!!

It worked!!!!
I was too stressed out yesterday and decided to call it a day.
Everything is perfect right now!
Thank you so much!
Thank you for everyone's help!!
I do really appreciate it!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation