BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kumar6
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I am trying to build a data repository for ADQS which is a combination of 200 studies.

I have written the program in macro by giving 8 macros calls. The each macro call will execute for 50 studies generates a final dataset and then after I need to set all 8 datasets into 1 final dataset ADQS.

So, out of these 8 macro calls only the 5 macro calls are going through without errors/warnings and created 5 datasets. When macro started run for 6th call, SAS throwing an pop-up box saying that:

ERROR: Undetermined I/O Failure after this program is aborted without going to further run.

Also I checked log it is clear without errors/warning. 

Please let me know what might be the issue and how I need to handle to create final dataset ADQS.

FYI:
Since I'm dealing with bulk studies the data of SDTM.QS is too long which would be 9GB.

Thanks for your time.

Santhosh.

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Not sure what you are doing. 9Gb is not really that big as far as SAS is concerned.

If you run the macros with options MPRINT and maybe SYMBOLGEN and MLOGIC turned on you may get a better idea of what is happening. And can you execute just the "6th" call? If not, then  you need to consider how you are doing this over all.

It sounds like you may be attempting to actually split and combine something. At which point I would check boundary values generated by any splitting algorithm.

Typically the "undetermined I/O error" means there is either something pathologically wrong with the code for some instance or some system error. Which may mean getting SAS Tech support involve, sharing all the code and data to determine exactly what fails.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

This is typically due to an an error outside of SAS, at OS level; It means that SAS could not access the file as expected.

It could be due to causes such as: lack of disk space, network connectivity glitches, corrupt data on disk, the file is locked by a backup program, or authorisation issues (do all the macros run under the same user ID?).

Since it always fails at the same spot, It'd look at disk space first. Try removing unneeded WORK files (proc datasets kill or delete) at the end of each of the 8 macro calls.

RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11
What is your operating system and hardware ?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation