BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi ,

I have two data sets derived from the same original set:

A) Which is where I have managed to sort companies by their respective SIC CODE and GVKEY with a variable horizon input. The Variable give me the opportunity to change how many years prior bankruptcy(or the last data available for non bankrupt firms) I want to see.

Unsorted_With_horizon.png

B) Another data set I created. This one only contains the last input of each company. It is sorted by year and sector. The way it sorted let me make comparisons between a bankrupt firm (costat=1) and a nonbankrupt one (Costaty=0) from the same industry at a precise year. 
That`s the way I want to see it BUT with the horizon variable that let s me check year prior the bankruptcy 

Last_GVKEY-Sorted.png

My question is :

IS there any way I can tell sas to keep the same order from the b) dataset and put that order in the A) data set. I would probably have to be with the GVKEYS I suppose

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
noling
SAS Employee

Does this approach make sense? Let's say that in this case we want to pull MAKE from table A into table B, and maintain table B's order. The key in this case is MODEL:

data A ;
	set sashelp.cars(obs=10);
	keep make model;
run;
data B;
	keep msrp model ob_no;
	ob_no=_N_;
run;

*want to pull the make value from table A into table B, and maintain table B's order;
proc sql noprint;
	create table want(drop=ob_no) as
	select B.*, make
	from B left join
		A on B.model =A.model
	order by ob_no;
quit;

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
noling
SAS Employee

Your comment 

That`s the way I want to see it BUT with the horizon variable that let s me check year prior the bankruptcy 

makes me think you should just pull the horizon variable from your A) table into your B) table. Is that possible for you using proc sql or another join?

Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7

Yeah that`s pretty much how I ended up with the A data set but the order is messed up now

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@Pabster wrote:

Yeah that`s pretty much how I ended up with the A data set but the order is messed up now

The order of variables is hardly relevant for anything, except proc export.

Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7
My supervisor has asked me to give it to him in a specific way. and it is kind of relevant for the research
Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7

*UPDATE*

I Took out the order from the B) data set with this code:

data Order;
set B);
order=_N_;
keep gvkey order;
run;

but now when I merge it with the A data set the order from the A is unchanged...

noling
SAS Employee

You could:

1. Use a data step and SET table B. Load table A into a hash, and pull in the desired field.

2. (looks like you're trying this) Create a new var on Table B with is = _N_, then proc sql and LEFT JOIN table A to table B (table B on left), then sort the new table by your new _N_ variable

3. A data step merge would probably also work if you can sort both tables, and have table A only have your key and desired field

Do those options make sense?

Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7

I have no clue on how to create and use a hash sadly.

I will try the proc sql merge and let you know 

Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7
@noling. cant manage to make it work
noling
SAS Employee

Does this approach make sense? Let's say that in this case we want to pull MAKE from table A into table B, and maintain table B's order. The key in this case is MODEL:

data A ;
	keep make model;
run;
data B;
	keep msrp model ob_no;
	ob_no=_N_;
run;

*want to pull the make value from table A into table B, and maintain table B's order;
proc sql noprint;
	create table want(drop=ob_no) as
	select B.*, make
	from B left join
		A on B.model =A.model
	order by ob_no;
quit;

Pabster
Obsidian | Level 7
I got 2000 less observation on my A dataset now but it indeed works !

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation