BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
texasmfp
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I inherited a program that generates several permanent SAS datasets.  All open in SAS System Viewer 9.1, except one file that has one variable with a custom format created by the program.  I can open it in EG, but I love love love SAS System Viewer 9.1.  Is there an easy solution so that I can open the file in my beloved Viewer?   (Yes, I know SAS no longer supports this software.  I believe it was Charlton Heston who said something about prying SAS System Viewer of of my cold dead hands :)).  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

A couple of choices ...

Before trying to view it, run this statement:

options nofmterr;

This will let you display the data set.  However, the formats defined in your custom format will not be available.  You will see unformatted values for variables that use that format.

Another possibility::  run PROC FORMAT (re-creating the format) before using the viewer.

A third possibility:  if your custom format has already been permanently saved, let SAS know where to find it.  Take a look at the FMTLIB option.  It's a little more difficult to implement, but it will let the viewer display the formatted values.

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

It's not exactly what you are asking for, but my team have released a free (for 5 users) browser based tool that has some quite advanced capabilities for viewing SAS datasets.

https://datacontroller.io

It can be deployed onto a desktop, just send a PM if you need help with the setup.

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation