BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Everyone:

I have ID,Group A and Group B in data and want to create two new columns : first(create col1) based on ID and Group A and then second(create col2) based on ID and Group B. Below given table will help to get an idea on what I'm trying to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much!

IDGROUP AGROUP BCREATE COL1CREATE COL2
12A A 
13DD DD 
14SD SD 
15DS DS 
16 PLUSFGPLUS
16FG FGPLUS
17GF GF 
19 GREATHNGFGREAT
19HNGF HNGFGREAT
20 EXTREMEJKHEXTREME
20JKH JKHEXTREME
21KL   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Please do not post the same question multiple times, and preferably with the data as text not as an image (thank you for including that in your second post).

SQL summary statistics work on text data so taking the max/min will fill the value in for every row with the same ID. 

A data step method would be to remove duplicates and missing from the data set and then merge the original data set with the filtered data set. 

proc sql;
create table want as
select *, max(groupA) as newCol1, max(groupB) as newCol2
from have
group by ID
order by ID;
quit;

@sasuser_sk wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I have ID,Group A and Group B in data and want to create two new columns : first(create col1) based on ID and Group A and then second(create col2) based on ID and Group B. Below given table will help to get an idea on what I'm trying to do.

ID GROUP A GROUP B CREATE COL1 CREATE COL2
12 A   A  
13 DD   DD  
14 SD   SD  
15 DS   DS  
16   PLUS FG PLUS
16 FG   FG PLUS
17 GF   GF  
19   GREAT HNGF GREAT
19 HNGF   HNGF GREAT
20   EXTREME JKH EXTREME
20 JKH   JKH EXTREME
21 KL      

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Everyone:

I have ID,Group A and Group B in data and want to create two new columns : first(create col1) based on ID and Group A and then second(create col2) based on ID and Group B. Below given pic will help to get an idea on what I'm trying to do.

sasuser_sk_0-1606240996793.png

ballardw
Super User

@sasuser_sk wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I have ID,Group A and Group B in data and want to create two new columns : first(create col1) based on ID and Group A and then second(create col2) based on ID and Group B. Below given pic will help to get an idea on what I'm trying to do.

sasuser_sk_0-1606240996793.png

You did not describe any rules for what creates which value. A solution could be done for exactly that data but not anything else.

sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

ID has some duplicates. I'm trying to create col1 to fill in the null in group A based on the duplicate records from ID. Similar concept for col2 but based on group B. I hope this helps.

sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

ID has some duplicates. I'm trying to create col1 to fill in the null in group A based on the duplicate records from ID. Similar concept for col2 but based on group B. I hope this helps better.

Reeza
Super User

Please do not post the same question multiple times, and preferably with the data as text not as an image (thank you for including that in your second post).

SQL summary statistics work on text data so taking the max/min will fill the value in for every row with the same ID. 

A data step method would be to remove duplicates and missing from the data set and then merge the original data set with the filtered data set. 

proc sql;
create table want as
select *, max(groupA) as newCol1, max(groupB) as newCol2
from have
group by ID
order by ID;
quit;

@sasuser_sk wrote:

Hello Everyone:

ID GROUP A GROUP B CREATE COL1 CREATE COL2
12 A   A  
13 DD   DD  
14 SD   SD  
15 DS   DS  
16   PLUS FG PLUS
16 FG   FG PLUS
17 GF   GF  
19   GREAT HNGF GREAT
19 HNGF   HNGF GREAT
20   EXTREME JKH EXTREME
20 JKH   JKH EXTREME
21 KL      

sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza-Thank you so much. I have not used SAS community much in the past and therefore don't know which group would respond quicker. I truly appreciate your help here and found the solution with your help.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @sasuser_sk  See if the following helps? I believe it should. If it does, you could thank @mkeintz  directly. To whom I owe a lot of my learning plus this one.

data have;
infile cards truncover;
input ID (GROUP_A	GROUP_B) ($);
cards;
12	A	.
13	DD	.
14	SD	.
15	DS	.
16	.	PLUS
16	FG	.
17	GF	.
18	.	.
19	.	GREAT
19	HNGF	
20	.	EXTREME
20	JKH	.
21	KL	.
22	.	.
23	.	.
;

data want;
 if 0 then set have;
 do until(last.id);
  update have(obs=0 rename=(GROUP_A=a GROUP_b=b)) have(rename=(GROUP_A=a GROUP_b=b));
  by id;
 end;
 do until(last.id);
  set have;
  by id;
  output;
 end;
run;

sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Novinosrin - Thanks a lot! your script worked perfect as well. Thank you @mkeintz. 

I'm in earlier stages of learning and would greatly appreciate any help in future also.

sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

I wish I could accept both responses as my solution. But thanks again @novinosrin

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation