BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
stancemcgraw
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I have a variable called drugs found, and it's in character text with a lot of text per line. I'd like a count of each type of drug found per ID.

Data have;

studyid      drugs_found

5                 Methamphine, amphetamines, cocaine

6                 none

7                  THC

data want;

studyid       Methamphine        Cannabis         Amphetamines        Cocaine       No_drugs

5                      1                             0                         1                              1                  0

6                     0                              0                       0                                 0                1

7                     0                             1                      0                                   0                0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

1. Split into a long format using SCAN()
2. Use previously shown methods, from your recent questions, to transpose and create your indicators.

data have;
infile cards dlm='09'x;
length drugs_found $50.;
input studyid  $    drugs_found $;
cards;
5	Methamphine, amphetamines, cocaine
6	none
7	THC
;;;;
run;

data long;
set have;

nTerms = countw(drugs_found) ;

do i=1 to nTerms;
word = scan(drugs_found, i, ",");
put word;
if word in ("THC", "CBD") then word = "Cannabis";
else if word in ("none") then call missing(word);
output;
end;

run;

Now use the similar methods shown. If you need to recode values, ie THC/CBD to Cannabis you can add that in the data step above and then transpose your data.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I don't see "Cannabis" in the input data.

Also, are these drugs in the input data always going to be spelled identically each time? Do you know in advance what the possible drugs are, or does the program have to figure it out? Does the final table always have values zero and 1, or could there be integers 2, 3, ...?

--
Paige Miller
stancemcgraw
Obsidian | Level 7

It says THC in the input data, thus I wanted it recorded as CANNABIS and yes, I'd like it to be recorded as dummy variables with 0 and 1.

I included a screenshot of what it looks like, because it does not always look the same and some of the words are cut-off.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@stancemcgraw wrote:

It says THC in the input data, thus I wanted it recorded as CANNABIS and yes, I'd like it to be recorded as dummy variables with 0 and 1.

I included a screenshot of what it looks like, because it does not always look the same and some of the words are cut-off.

Ok, thank you, but I asked other questions that you didn't answer.

--
Paige Miller
stancemcgraw
Obsidian | Level 7
I don't understand what you mean by, do I know in advance what the possible drugs are? And no, they will not be spelled the exact same way each time. Take a look at the screenshot and you can see all the different iterations...
Reeza
Super User

1. Split into a long format using SCAN()
2. Use previously shown methods, from your recent questions, to transpose and create your indicators.

data have;
infile cards dlm='09'x;
length drugs_found $50.;
input studyid  $    drugs_found $;
cards;
5	Methamphine, amphetamines, cocaine
6	none
7	THC
;;;;
run;

data long;
set have;

nTerms = countw(drugs_found) ;

do i=1 to nTerms;
word = scan(drugs_found, i, ",");
put word;
if word in ("THC", "CBD") then word = "Cannabis";
else if word in ("none") then call missing(word);
output;
end;

run;

Now use the similar methods shown. If you need to recode values, ie THC/CBD to Cannabis you can add that in the data step above and then transpose your data.

stancemcgraw
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you I always forget the going from wide to long step, you're right. You've really helped my day, thanks so much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation