BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
chennupriya
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ,

I have a sas dataset billplan which has below three rows in the dataset and i want to loop through
those 3 rows for boap1 , boap2 and boap3 variables and create a string

first three variables of row1 are seperated by * and then | then two variables of row2 are seperated by * and then |
and one variable of row3 and loop ends

finally state1 should resolve to 

Ins*Status*Cycle|Total*Pays|Cust

Table BillPLan

SName tst boap1 boap2 boap3
Score h Ins Status Cycle
Sex h Total Pays  
Age h Cust    
Height h Num Disc Early

Can anyone please help ?

6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

This seems like it should work:

data want;

set billplan end=done;

length this_line $ 50 state1 $ 100;

retain state1;

this_line = catx('*', boap1, boap2, boap3);

state1 = catx('|', state1, this_line);

if done;

run;

Still, unless you tell us more it is difficult to accept the usefulness of this result.

chennupriya
Quartz | Level 8

proc sql;

select

%do i=1 %to 4;

%do j=1 %to 3;

select upcase(trim(boap&j)) as boap&j

%if &j < 3 %then %do;

"*"

%end;

%end;

into :state1 seperated by "|"

from billplan;

quit;

So number of rows is 4 so first time it loops 4 times and then it loops three times for  three variables all three variables are separated by * and each row is separated by |and that's how the variable State1 at the end looks like

Ins*Status*Cycle|Total*Pays |Cust |Num*Disc*Early

Astounding
PROC Star

Did you try my program?  To me, it looks much simpler.  Do you require the final string to be placed into a macro variable?  A DATA step can easily do that.

chennupriya
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Above code works but what if I don't know the length of the state1(length of final string )  since I have 300 rows and each row has 4 variables ? and the string would be truncated if we don't give correct length

Please help

ballardw
Super User

@chennupriya wrote:

Hi Above code works but what if I don't know the length of the state1(length of final string )  since I have 300 rows and each row has 4 variables ? and the string would be truncated if we don't give correct length

Please help

Know thy data.

You would need to examine the number of variables and their lengths that will concatenated. For ease of calculations you can use the length(s) assigned to the variables, sum those and add one character per variable per "row" you might need to provide for a space or comma or what ever between values. Then assign that as the length of the variable.

If you want an "automagic" code for such start be examining sashelp.vcolumn (or dictionary.columns if you use Proc SQL) to pull the lengths of the variables. SASHELP.Vtable (or dictionary.tables ) has the number of observations in the variable NOBS.

Or use proc contents to get info.

Astounding
PROC Star

Just give a long enough length, such as:

length state1 $ 20000;

Also use the global option COMPRESS=YES so that if you assign extra space, that extra space won't be needed for storing the value.

If you transfer the value to a macro variable, use CALL SYMPUTX, not CALL SYMPUT.  That way, the extra blanks won't be transferred.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation