BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wj2
Quartz | Level 8 wj2
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, I am working with a sample of health record data spanning a one-year period.

I need to know:

1) which providers were full-time, that is, the providers that had at least a total of 416 patient visits (i.e., encounters) in this sample of one year data (416 visits/year = 8 visits/week). 

2) the average number of unique patient visits among all full-time providers

I am new to conducting counting procedures in SAS, but I envision first creating a variable that includes the total number of unique patient visits for each full-time provider and then running a proc means to determine the average number among all full-time providers. I have provided an example of how my data set is organized below. Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Patient_id       encounter_id       visit_provider

111                 123                       a

112                 134                       b

112                 145                       b

113                 231                       c

114                 223                       a

115                 323                       d

116                 443                       d

117                 423                       b

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@wj2 

Here an option using SQL

data have;
  infile datalines dlm=' ' truncover;
  input Patient_id encounter_id visit_provider $;
  datalines;
111 123 a
112 134 b
112 145 b
113 231 c
114 223 a
115 323 d
116 443 d
117 423 b
;
run;

proc sql;
/*  create table want as*/
  select
      visit_provider,
      count(encounter_id) as n_encounters,
      count(encounter_id)/count(distinct patient_id) as avg_encounter_per_patient
  from have
  group by visit_provider
  ;
quit;
wj2
Quartz | Level 8 wj2
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @Patrick,

Thank you for the suggestion! Would you also be able to suggest an option using a data step? 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@wj2 wrote:

Hi @Patrick,

Thank you for the suggestion! Would you also be able to suggest an option using a data step? 

Why don't first give it a go yourself and then ask questions accompanied by your code/log should you get stuck.

A data step solution would require to first sort the data and then use if first.<variable>/last.<variable> and just summing up stuff in counter variables (which you retain and also set to 0 at the beginning of a new group).

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation