BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

What's the difference between date10. and date9. and between cards and cards4?

new1, new2, … etc. calculate the difference between returns from usa_firms table and average_ret from Benchmark table. I want perform the same task for another dataset (say uk_firms). After performing the same operation this newdataset will also show the same variables: new1, new2, … etc. I need to merge these two datasets: usa_firms and uk_firms. It's a problematic since both datasets have same variable names (new1, new2, …  ) but those are from two different countries? How can I resolve this?

If you look at the dataset usa_firms, you will see the price data for US firms and US firms are identified as  . There are price data for 61 US firms. From these price data, returns are calculated (ret1, ret2, …. (shown in the right end of the dataset)) for those 61 firms. By looking at ret1, ret2 variables I cannot understand which firms' return they are. Is it possible to use firm identity instead of ret1, ret2 variable names? I need to identify the returns for each firm because I need to do the same task for another dataset (uk_firms) and need to merge these two datasets.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you want to continue to use his horizontal format instead of a vertical format then you will need to continually be creating new variable names.

You can use some tricks to help you though.  For example below SQL will create two macro variables with space delimited lists of variable names that would be very suited for use in a ARRAY statement.   The first list is just the variables of interest and the second is the same but with _RETURN appended to the names.

proc sql noprint ;

select name

, cats(name,'_return')

into varlist separated by ' '

, retlist separated by ' '

from dictionary.columns

where libname = 'WORK' and memname = 'USA_FIRMS'

and indexw('US4583341098 US09061G1013',upcase(name))

;

quit;

data .... ;

array firms &varlist;

array ret &retlist;

run;

AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

Don't I need to define the variables of interest in the beginning such as?

%let varlist = CA45245E1097 ... US98974P1003 ; /***I wrote all the variable names***/

%let nvar = %sysfunc(countw(&varlist,%str( )));

data usa_firms;

set Benchmar.P20040by0 (keep = date &varlist);

array firms (&nvar) &varlist;

array ret (&nvar)

And don't I need to define the variables for varlist and retlist in your following codes?

array firms &varlist;

array ret &retlist;

I don't understand this line:  and indexw('US4583341098 US09061G1013',upcase(name))

Do I need to write the names of all the variables here? What is upcase(name)?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Some how you would have to define the list of variables and you obviously found where I listed the two variable names in the simple example I posted.

If you have them in a macro variable already then you could replace the hard coded string 'US4583341098 US09061G1013' with "&VARLIST".

You need to get used to reading the SAS manuals .  Google is your friend Smiley Happy

INDEXW() SAS(R) 9.4 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference, Second Edition

UPCASE()  SAS(R) 9.4 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference, Second Edition

Dictionary.Columns SAS(R) 9.4 SQL Procedure User's Guide

Also just run some code and see what it does. Put in some proc prints and PUT statements to see what is happening.

AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much. You are guiding me in a very helpful way. I will put all the codes together and then let you know.

AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

Please correct the following codes. The intention is to calculate the return of some selected firms (listed in the %let varlist) from P2004 dataset (attached). There are couple of equations but ret(i) = (rvar(i)*lgvar(i))/rgla is the ultimate objective to achieve. I want that return variables are named similar to firm names instead of ret1, ret2 etc.

%let varlist= US0453271035    US16411R2085      US1844961078      US2067081099      US2296781071      US38388F1084     US4282911084      US74835Y1010      US8803491054      US90385D1072;

%let nvar = %sysfunc(countw(&varlist,%str( )));

proc sql noprint ;

select name

,cats(name,'_return')

into :varlist separated by ''

,:retlist separated by ''

from dictionary.columns

where libname='WORK' and memname='P20040BY0'

and indexw('&varlist',upcase(name))

;

quit;

data P20040by0;

set work.P2004 (keep = date &varlist);

array price (&nvar) &varlist;

array rvar (&nvar) ;

array gvar (&nvar) ;

array lgvar (&nvar) ;

array ret (&nvar) ;

do i = 1 to &nvar;

rvar(i) = (price(i)-lag(price(i)))/lag(price(i));

gvar(i) = rvar(i)+1;

lgvar(i) = lag(gvar(i));

end;

rgla = mean( of lgvar(*) );

do i = 1 to &nvar;

ret(i) = (rvar(i)*lgvar(i))/rgla;

end;

run;

By the by, instead of writing so many equations, is it possible to combine those equations into a single equation?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Macro expressions are not evaluated inside of single quotes.  Change '&varlist' to "&varlist".

AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

What about other lines of the codes? Are these ok? Do I need to write variable names instead of 'name' and how should I define retlist?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You generated the names with _RETURN on the end into a macro variable and then didn't use them anywhere.

Most likely you want to modify the array definition for RET to include the list of names just like you did for the array PRICE.

AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, but I cannot do that. It would be a great help if you correct my codes and write the codes. Thanks a lot.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Part of programming is pattern recognition.

The SQL generated macro variables

into :varlist separated by ''

,:retlist separated by ''

The data step referenced one of them here.

array price (&nvar) &varlist;

So modify this line to match the same pattern.

array ret (&nvar) ;

AbuChowdhury
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

What is 'diff' in your code?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The name of the variable that you wanted to copy from the other table and subtract from every value.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You will probably get results faster if you normalize your data.

So if you currently have data with 200 columns that represent PRICE for 200 firms you should convert it into 200 rows with one column for the FIRM and another for the PRICE.

proc transpose data=have(keep=date firm1-firm200) out=price(rename=(col1=PRICE _name_=FIRM)) ;

by price;

var firm1-firm200;

run;

proc sort; by firm date; run;

Then if you have another variable that also had collected for each FIRM/DATE combination you could easily merge them and do calculations.

data gain;

merge price basis ;

by firm date ;

gain = price - basis ;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation