BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
krg1140
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I have a task which I need to "Create a new variable, FYEAR.  If the month the fiscal year ended was June through December then FYEAR will equal the year in the FISCAL_YEAR_ENDED date.  If the month the fiscal year ended was January through May, then FYEAR will equal the year in the FISCAL_YEAR_ENDED date less one."

The format of my current set up is fiscal_year_ended DAMONYEAR 2 digits for the date, 3 for the month and 4 for the year. For example today (March 8th 2021) would show up as 08MAR2021. 

How can I instruct SAS to decipher the fiscal years? I first started by splitting the date such as 

data mergedata1; set mergedata;
year=year(fiscal_year_ended);
month=month(fiscal_year_ended);
day=day(fiscal_year_ended);
run;

but now I'm looking to tell SAS whether the fiscal year and fiscal year ended should be the same?

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
FYEAR = year(fiscal_year_ended) - 1*(month(fiscal_year_ended) < 6);

(month(fiscal_year_ended) < 6) will evaluate to a 0 or 1. If it's less than 6 it evaluates to 1, which becomes year(fiscal_year_ended) - 1* 1 = year-1
I'll leave the math for the 0 to you.

@krg1140 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a task which I need to "Create a new variable, FYEAR.  If the month the fiscal year ended was June through December then FYEAR will equal the year in the FISCAL_YEAR_ENDED date.  If the month the fiscal year ended was January through May, then FYEAR will equal the year in the FISCAL_YEAR_ENDED date less one."

The format of my current set up is fiscal_year_ended DAMONYEAR 2 digits for the date, 3 for the month and 4 for the year. For example today (March 8th 2021) would show up as 08MAR2021. 

How can I instruct SAS to decipher the fiscal years? I first started by splitting the date such as 

data mergedata1; set mergedata;
year=year(fiscal_year_ended);
month=month(fiscal_year_ended);
day=day(fiscal_year_ended);
run;

but now I'm looking to tell SAS whether the fiscal year and fiscal year ended should be the same?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> The format of my current set up is fiscal_year_ended DAMONYEAR 

Is this a string or a SAS date?

mkeintz
PROC Star

If you are using the fiscal year convention in the US  (fiscal year    xxxx runs from June xxxx  through May xxxx+1), then

fyear=year(intnx('year.6',fy_enddate,0,'beg'));

The INTNX function "advances" the date value in FY_ENDDATE by 0 years, and aligns the result to the date beginning that year.  But I am using "year.6" as the interval, not "year".   "Year.6" identifies year intervals that begin in June.

Run the program below to see a 12-month series assigning fiscal years as you require:

data _null_;
 fy_enddate='31jan2019'd;
 do until (fy_enddate>'31dec2019'd);
   fyear=year(intnx('year.6',fy_enddate,0,'beg'));
   put fy_enddate=date9. fyear=;
   fy_enddate=intnx('month',fy_enddate,1,'end');
  end;
run;

No if test or other conditional programming statement required - just a function.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

mkeintz
PROC Star

@ChrisNZ wrote:

And format FYEAR with format year.  .

Afraid not.  There is a YEAR function applied to the intnx result.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
Fair enough. I saw that you had provided the solution I had in mind but didn't see you'd decided to extract the year. All good.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation