BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Joe75
Calcite | Level 5

Would like to seek advice to convert the SAS Macro script below, to MS SQL format:

%MACRO RETAIN_DIGIT

CLEANUP_VAR=MOBILE_NO;

%DO I=1 %TO 30;

%LET J=%EVAL(&I+1);

%LET H=%EVAL(&I-1);

IF LENGTH(MOBILE_NO)>=&I THEN DO;

IF COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&I,1),"","D")^="" THEN DO;

IF SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&I,1) IN ("O","Q") AND LENGTH(COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&J),"","KD"))>=9 THEN

IF LENGTH(COMPRESS(SUBSTR(COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&J)),1,2),"","KD"))=2 THEN

IF 10<=INPUT(SUBSTR(COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&J)),1,2),$2.)<=19 THEN

CLEANUP_VAR=TRANSLATE(CLEANUP_VAR,"0",SUBSTR(CLEANUP_VAR,&I,1));

ELSE CLEANUP_VAR=TRANSLATE(CLEANUP_VAR," ",SUBSTR(CLEANUP_VAR,&I,1));

END;

%IF &I>=3 %THEN %DO;

ELSE IF COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&I,1),"","KD")^="" AND LENGTH(COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&J),"","KD"))>=7 THEN DO;

IF COMPRESS(SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&I,1),"","KD")^="" AND SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&H,1)="/"

AND (SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&J,1)="-" OR SUBSTR(MOBILE_NO,&J,1)=" ")

THEN CLEANUP_VAR=SUBSTR(CLEANUP_VAR,1,&H)||" "||SUBSTR(CLEANUP_VAR,&J);

END;

%END;

END;

%END;

CLEANUP_VAR=STRIP(COMPBL(CLEANUP_VAR));

%MEND;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

You may get a better response by providing 1) a description of what that code is supposed to do, 2) examples of the data before the process and 3) what the data looks like afterward.

Loops like that are really not very natural to SQL and it may be better to redesign from scratch instead of trying to do a line by line translation of data step code to SQL (which generally doesn't work well.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The macro only contains text string manipulation logic with no data input or output. You've missed out the rest of the processing.

Having said that, the only way I can see this being done in MS SQL is as a stored procedure using cursors and looping logic as "normal" SQL has no concept of looping. This is extremely ugly and I can't recommend you attempting it unless you are familiar with database stored procedures. 

Joe75
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much for your advice!

ballardw
Super User

You may get a better response by providing 1) a description of what that code is supposed to do, 2) examples of the data before the process and 3) what the data looks like afterward.

Loops like that are really not very natural to SQL and it may be better to redesign from scratch instead of trying to do a line by line translation of data step code to SQL (which generally doesn't work well.)

Joe75
Calcite | Level 5
Got it! Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation