BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jerrylshen
Obsidian | Level 7

I've searched up this a lot, but nothing worked for me. It's to my understanding that after I get the INTCK minute output, it's a character data type. So, I've tried converting the output by doing input(output, best.) and input(output, 5.) in the SAS data step as well as in proc sql but neither works.

Time is in the format of 24hr.

data want;
	length query_text $300 time_diff $20;
	set temp;

query_text = "blah blah";
	time_diff = intck('minute', input(time1, time.), input(time2, time.)); 
	*time_diff = input(temp, 8.); //this doesn't work
	keep query_text Subject time_diff;
run;

proc sql;

CREATE TABLE temp2 AS
SELECT query_text, Subject, time_diff /* I've tried input(time_diff, best.) and input(time_diff, 5.) but neither worked */
FROM want
WHERE time_diff > 15 /*Error: Expression using IN has components that are of different data types */
;

quit;

Expected output:

╔════════════╦═════════╦═══════════╗
║ query_text             ║ Subject          ║        time_diff      ║
╠════════════╬═════════╬═══════════╣
║ blah                       ║ 001                ║           16             ║
║ blah                       ║ 002                ║           1500         ║
╚════════════╩═════════╩═══════════╝

It's kind of weird. If I have the WHERE statement be:

CREATE TABLE temp2 AS
SELECT query_text, Subject, time_diff  
FROM want
WHERE time_diff > 15 or time_diff < -15
;

It would print out everything, including when time_diff is 15 (same print output as when print "want") and no errors.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Edit (after accepting solution): Thanks to some of the replies, I realized that I am indeed assigning the time/number to a character variable. So, I just initialized the "query_text" variable in the data step as

length query_text 300

Alright, thanks everyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The output of INTCK() is a number.  The number of intervals crossed.  In your case since you are using MINUTE as the interval it is a count of the number of minutes.  

Why are you assigning that to a character variable?  When you do that SAS will format the number using the BEST12. format. So if the numbers of minutes was 15 then the character variable will have the ten spaces the digit 1 and then the digit 5.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Do not overlook the log message

NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character
      values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).
      13:17

it signals a problem with your code. INTCK returns numbers but you asked that it be assigned to a character variable. Hence the convertion mentionned in the log.

PG
Reeza
Super User

It's to my understanding that after I get the INTCK minute output, it's a character data type.

That's incorrect, INTCK returns a number.

There are several points where you could have an error but I would start by double checking what the time and formats are for time1, time2 before you start. Once you can provide that, someone can provide the correct code.

Right now you're converting it to a number, so assuming it starts out as a character that looks like (08:24). If not, your INPUT is wrong.

Here's an example of how this would work if you had times.  

data have;
time_start = '5:45't;
time_end = '12:55't;
*calculate difference in minutes;
time_diff = intck('minutes', time_start, time_end);
*create another identical variable to show format;
time_formatted = time_diff;
format time_start time_end time_formatted time.;
run;

proc print data=have;
run;

If time were character variables, it may look like this:

data have;
    time_start='5:45';
    time_end='12:55';
    *calculate difference in minutes;
    time_diff=intck('minutes', input(time_start, time.), input(time_end, time.));
    *create another identical variable to show format;
    time_formatted=time_diff*60;
    format  time_formatted time.;
run;

Results:

Obs time_start time_end time_diff time_formatted
1 5:45:00 12:55:00 430 0:07:10

In the future including your log is also very helpful. It would contain any notes about types changing that would help indicate where the problem actually is. 

EDIT: edited to correct formatted time formats.

@jerrylshen wrote:

I've searched up this a lot, but nothing worked for me. It's to my understanding that after I get the INTCK minute output, it's a character data type. So, I've tried converting the output by doing input(output, best.) and input(output, 5.) in the SAS data step as well as in proc sql but neither works.

Time is in the format of 24hr.

data want;
	length query_text $300 time_diff $20;
	set temp;

query_text = "blah blah";
	time_diff = intck('minute', input(time1, time.), input(time2, time.)); 
	*time_diff = input(temp, 8.); //this doesn't work
	keep query_text Subject time_diff;
run;

proc sql;

CREATE TABLE temp2 AS
SELECT query_text, Subject, time_diff /* I've tried input(time_diff, best.) and input(time_diff, 5.) but neither worked */
FROM want
WHERE time_diff > 15 /*Error: Expression using IN has components that are of different data types */
;

quit;

Expected output:

╔════════════╦═════════╦═══════════╗
║ query_text             ║ Subject          ║        time_diff      ║
╠════════════╬═════════╬═══════════╣
║ blah                       ║ 001                ║           16             ║
║ blah                       ║ 002                ║           1500         ║
╚════════════╩═════════╩═══════════╝

It's kind of weird. If I have the WHERE statement be:

CREATE TABLE temp2 AS
SELECT query_text, Subject, time_diff  
FROM want
WHERE time_diff > 15 or time_diff < -15
;

It would print out everything, including when time_diff is 15 (same print output as when print "want") and no errors.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

jerrylshen
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi, I thought INTCK only takes in variables in the data type of
Date/Time/DateTime?
Reeza
Super User

The input variables required for INTCK are date time, time or date.

Datetime, time or date variables are just numeric values, with a format to show them as dates. Datetimes are the number of seconds from January 1, 1960, Date variables are the number of days from January 1, 1960 and Times are just seconds. 

Assuming you're referring to my second example, the INPUT() function within the INTCK() function converts the times to time variables. This is similar to what you were doing in your code. 

@jerrylshen wrote:
Hi, I thought INTCK only takes in variables in the data type of
Date/Time/DateTime?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@jerrylshen 

> I thought INTCK only takes in variables in the data type of Date/Time/DateTime?

You seem confused about SAS data types.

SAS only has 2 types: numeric (floating) and character (char).

Dates etc are simply numeric variables displayed using the appropriate format.

You can display any number with any format, and use any numeric function on any numeric data.

The use of the correct format and function is up to the user/programmer/DWH administrator.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

@Reeza, you shouldn't assign a time format to a time interval value unless it is expressed in seconds.

PG
Reeza
Super User

@PGStats wrote:

@Reeza, you shouldn't assign a time format to a time interval value unless it is expressed in seconds.

Correct, hard to see that error since it just shifts the locations....the formats on the character variable are also incorrect.

07:10:00
00:07:10
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The output of INTCK() is a number.  The number of intervals crossed.  In your case since you are using MINUTE as the interval it is a count of the number of minutes.  

Why are you assigning that to a character variable?  When you do that SAS will format the number using the BEST12. format. So if the numbers of minutes was 15 then the character variable will have the ten spaces the digit 1 and then the digit 5.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation