BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello
We have a new RHEL 7 server  and SAS 9.4 M6 and which we have the oracle instant client and unixODBC installed

When I try to create a library with  libname statement as follows :

libname testlib odbc dsn=datasyn user='xxx' password='xxx';

I get the following error

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [unixODBC][Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly
specified
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I tried changing the case, adding single and double quotes around password and dsn values but there is no impact.
Oracle dba says there is no issue from their side.

I have seen these posts and they do not help
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Connecting-to-Oracle-via-libname-odbc-Schema-spec-doe...,

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Writing-to-Oracle-database-using-ODBC-connection/td-p...

and https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/A-quick-guide-to-connecting-to-Oracle-from-SA...

Wondering if anybody had similar issue and how they solved it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks everybody. The

database team reinstalled the client.

And everything worked.

Thanks

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Reeza
Super User
Are you trying to connect from a SAS Server or desktop? If it's a desktop try and see if you can connect via the ODBC control panel first.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks for the response, SAS EG / Server.

There is no Base  SAS installed on the Desktop.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you review the definition of datasyn in your Oracle tnsnames.ora configuration file. Also try the SQLPLUS Oracle client on your SAS server to see if it connects to datasyn OK.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

I have verified the DSN name and it is correct.

I don't have no access to sqlplus.  Not authorized to connect from Desktop using SQL developer.

Reeza
Super User

You don't need sql plus, go to control panel and ODBC connections to see if the DSN entry is there. 

@Sajid01 wrote:

I don't have no access to sqlplus.  Not authorized to connect from Desktop using SQL developer.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Reeza - The OP is running SAS on a linux server (RHEL = Red Hat Enterprise Linux), so there is no Control Panel or ODBC Administrator (Windows only). In my experience, when the Oracle client software (SQL*NET) is installed to support Oracle connections sqlplus is part of this. It is always possible this has changed though.

Reeza
Super User
No, I connect to Oracle DB and no sqlplus is required on the Unix box, just the correct drivers and tsn.

OP updated their post, it wasn't clear earlier if it was server install or desktop.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Sajid01 wrote:

Is SAS running on Unix or Windows?  If you don't know the macro variables SYSSCP  and SYSSCPL will show you.

Have someone that CAN run commands on the server confirm that the DSN name works.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks everybody.

More details are as follows.
We are building a new  server with RHEL 7 and SAS 9.4M6. This is to replace an older server with  RHEL 6 and SAS 9.4M4.
Everything works well on the old machine. 
The older installation has been replicated on the new server  including folder names and paths; tnsnames.ora,  /etc/odbc.ini and sasenv_local. 

The error is a bit surprising.

Wanted to have an idea if anybody else faced a similar issue.

Will be taking with DBA's.

Thanks once again.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Have you also seen these instructions already? How to configure SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC on UNIX Platforms 

This article and the linked ones on top of the article appear to pretty much cover what needs to be done - and what you could verify if it's this way in your environment.

One of the things from the article: "SAS attempts to use the first 64-bit ODBC driver manager that it finds." Did the sequence eventually change?

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks everybody. The

database team reinstalled the client.

And everything worked.

Thanks

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation