BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi Folks:

I'd like to describe the extent of inequality in health behavior in Korea using descriptive statistics.The variable is continuous and the data is attached to this post. I already mapped actual health behavior using proc gmap approach shown in the code below. 

But, I also would like to map the standard deviation and inter-quartile difference of each observation (each district and 250 districts in total) of the variable using the same gmap approach. Since mapping IQR diff and STD maybe more meaningful than visualizing actual variable given the purpose is to show disparity in the spatial distribution of the variable. 

Could you please help me compute inter-quartile difference and STD of the variable for each observation in the data? 

I greatly appreciate any hints or suggestions. 

Thanks in advance. 

proc gmap data=have map=mapsgfk.south_korea;
id id;
choro health_behavior/ legend=legend1;
legend1 position=(bottom center inside) across=1 mode=reserve 
label=(position=top j=c);
format std_health_behavior comma5.;
run;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Inter-quintile differences is not a term I'm familiar with, I'm assuming it's from economics? You'll need to match the papers definition but I only quickly skimmed it and couldn't find an obvious definition in the supplement. Unfortunately I cannot take that time this week to deep dive into a paper. Good Luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

IQR and STD are not record level data, they're aggregate statistics that represent a group of data not a single point. 

Can you explain in more detail what you're looking for?

If you could provide your data as a data step that's appreciated as well. 

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@Reeza 

Hi Reeza, thanks for asking. I'm trying to come up with a map presenting the inter-quintile differences in health behavior in 250 districts of Korea. Inter-quintile or standard deviation of each observation would present the gap in health behavior across the 245 districts. 

Reeza
Super User
Inter-quintile differences is not a term I'm familiar with, I'm assuming it's from economics? You'll need to match the papers definition but I only quickly skimmed it and couldn't find an obvious definition in the supplement. Unfortunately I cannot take that time this week to deep dive into a paper. Good Luck.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13
I had same exact thought process. Thanks Reeza. This helps. By the way, I decided to map the value itself which leads to a meaningful interpretations that makes sense given the country's local health and economic contexts. Thanks again for taking your time and responding to me.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation