BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lansoprazole
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I want to create an indicator variable for my patients. If the patient's ICD10 code matches one of 150 codes, then this variable will be 1.

How can I make the comparison other than using (if equal then)? It will take so much time to type all codes by hand between " " !

I have the codes in csv file. I wish I could compare patients codes against a SAS dataset

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I know this is a topic that comes up regularly. Please search the SAS Community for ICD codes.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

Here's a good paper on the topic:

https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/support/en/sas-global-forum-proceedings/2019/3117-2019.pdf

I have the codes in csv file. I wish I could compare patients codes against a SAS dataset

You can, but in my experience the critieria is usually not exact matches. If it is exact matches if you have a single column of diagnosis in your main data set you can use a SQL filter.

• Transpose your claim data to have one diagnosis per row for each claim/client rather than DX1-DX20 etc. 
  • Import your list from CSV
  • Use something like the SQL query below. 

proc sql;
create table want as
select * from have where icd10 in (select icd10 from csvList);
quit;

@lansoprazole wrote:

Hi, 

I want to create an indicator variable for my patients. If the patient's ICD10 code matches one of 150 codes, then this variable will be 1.

How can I make the comparison other than using (if equal then)? It will take so much time to type all codes by hand between " " !

Thanks,

ballardw
Super User

One way if the list to search in is fixed:

data example;
   input x $;
   array v (4) $ 8 _temporary_("abc","cdf","pdq","rst");
   found = (whichc(x, of v(*))>0);
datalines;
abc
ABC
cdf
pdq
PDQ
;

An example of basic code does not require all 150 or so values.

The key above is the WHICHC function that searches a list of values for the presence of the first one. In this case an array of temporary values is used as that makes it fairly easy to change the list and not require other code changes.

This is case sensitive, which why ABC and PDQ have 0 for the Found variable.

If you have not used arrays, for the purpose, V is the name of the array and cannot be the name of another variable, the number in the (4) says there will be 4 elements, the $ says the values will be character, the 8 says they will have a maximum length of 8 characters, the keyword _temporary_ means the created variables V1 to V4 are not written to the output data set and the values to search are in the second set of parentheses.

The "of v(*)" is a way that tells SAS you want to use all of the values in the array V for any function that accepts lists of variables.

One minor advantage of using WHICHC is that you can return a value that shows the position of the FIRST match, or its value, if desired.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Let's say you have a dataset with one variable (ICDcode) and 150 observations, one for each of the ICDcodes of interest - call it MY_ICDS

And there is also your main dataset HAVE with multiple variables, including ICDcode.

Then you can use a hash object as follows:

data want;
  set have;
  if _n_=1 then do;
    declare hash h (dataset:'MY_ICDS');
      h.definekey('icdcode');
      h.definedone();
  end;
  if h.find()=0 then flag=1;
  else flag=0;
run;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation