BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello,

Every month I want to create(update) a data set that check 4 variables.

The task is to create  for each variable a distrubtion by 3 categores : 0, Null,Other.

The distribution calculate number of rows and Percentile From Total.

As you understand each month there are more 2 columns that are added to the data set.

The idea is to find if there is any change in distribution for any variable.

I would like to define a rule that if the difference in Percentile between 2 consecutive months is higher than 1% then need to color the row in red color.(It means that the check is done between columns 4 and 6, 6 and 8, 8 and 10 and so on....

What is the way to do it please?

Data have;
Input Var_name $ category  $
nr202101 pct202101 
nr202102 pct202102 
nr202103 pct202103
nr202104 pct202104
;
cards;
Welath 0  80000 0.8
Welath Null 10000 0.1
Welath Other 10000 0.1
Age 0 5000 0.05
Age  Null 8000 0.08
Age Other 87000 0.87
CustID 0 0 0
CustID Null 0 0 
CustID Other 100000 1
Income 0 20000 0.2
Income Null 10000 0.1
Income Other 70000 0.7
;
Run;

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You switch from talking about percent to talking about percentile. Which is it?

In either case, the data you present does not seem to offer a possibility to calculate percentile or percent. (Percent of what quantity? Percentile of what distribution?)

As I (and others) have said many times, putting calendar information into the variable names (wide data set) is a poor choice. A long data set would be a much better choice, resulting in easier programming. Surely, you are going to take this advice from now on.

Your code doesn't work, please fix it. Please test your code before you post it from now on.

--
Paige Miller
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14
No need to calculate anything.
The columns are already in the data set ( one col is frequently and second is percent and it is for each month yyyymm).
The required task is to create report and color the rows on red when there is increase in pct in more than 1%(0.1) between consecutive months
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14
My sas is not working at home so I couldn't run my code ,apologize
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
One thing I want to add about your request is that you cannot add color to a data set or data table. You can change background or foreground color for displaying a number in a REPORT. In particular, using PROC PRINT, PROC REPORT or PROC TABULATE to create a REPORT will provide the opportunity to add color to the data when it is displayed in a destination that supports using color to highlight values.
However, a data set or data table is not internally stored with color, so you can't make a data set internally stored value red.
Cynthia
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14
Sure, the question was how to create a report that displays the data and just mark in red color the rows where there was significant change in pct by more than 1%(0.1)
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

At least give us some data to work with that will display both cases ... not red in some cases, red in some cases. Fake data is fine, but the data set you provided is unusable for this problem.

Also please SHOW us the desired output — you don't have to actually color the output red, but we need to know the layout of the report and you can tell us in words which cells should be red.

--
Paige Miller
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Conceptually, I think what you want will be similar to this. I didn't bother with the percent or percentile, since that part was not clear. All I did was use LAG in a DATA step to get the height from the previous row in SASHELP.CLASS, then used a COMPUTE block in PROC REPORT to calculate the difference between the height on the current row and the height on the previous row (although I could have done this part in the DATA step too). Then I made a user-defined format to hold the colors I wanted. I used the format for a simple example of only formatting the background color of the calculated difference and then I did a more advanced example of changing the background color for the entire row.

Cynthia

Cynthia_sas_0-1661032415716.png

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation