BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

i want to assign a random string to a variable. If say i have to pick a character from the below list. can you suggest me a code?

"a","c","m","s","f","o"

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do something like this

data _null_;
   array _{6} $ ('a','c','m','s','f','o');
   idx=rand('integer', 1, dim(_));
   RandLetter=_[idx];

put RandLetter=;
run;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do something like this

data _null_;
   array _{6} $ ('a','c','m','s','f','o');
   idx=rand('integer', 1, dim(_));
   RandLetter=_[idx];

put RandLetter=;
run;
VinitvictorCorr
Quartz | Level 8
i tried rand before, but it said it wouldn't work on character values,but this is great
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@VinitvictorCorr wrote:
i tried rand before, but it said it wouldn't work on character values,but this is great

Alternative techniques to let RAND "work on character values" include

• the CHAR function (for single characters):
    RandLetter=char('acmsfo',rand('integer',6));
  • the CHOOSEC function (for strings of any lengths):
    RandLetter=choosec(rand('integer',6),'a','c','m','s','f','o');
  • the SCAN function (for strings of any lengths):
    RandLetter=scan('a c m s f o',rand('integer',6));
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Sir @FreelanceReinh   Really love your CHOOSEC. My oh my honestly didn't expect, While it's easy to acknowledge the charm of how your thought process works, I recall Guru @data_null__  effecting the use of such functions and many more to super effect in his SAS-L posts. I wonder if SAS-L still exists, and if yes DN is even on it anymore. Anyways,  Just goes to prove, great minds think alike i.e you, king, PG, hashman etc are in a league of your own. Class act!

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Thanks, @novinosrin, but I'm not sure what's so inventive about using those character functions with a random number argument. 🙂

Regarding SAS-L: Since they started requiring a login even for read access (less than 6 years ago; at least my old links suddenly didn't work anymore, but led to a login screen) I haven't been there. But it was a valuable source of information for me in my earlier years (only reading, not posting). Luckily, a few of the SAS-L giants have joined the SAS Support Communities.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

I meant, it's not about the inventive, it's just that not many would even think or search along the lines finding a function for a cause and would rather go with we/they know. I guess it's the presence of mind to look for what and where let alone how simple or complex that may be.

I am also glad that some of the SAS-L are right here. 🙂

VinitvictorCorr
Quartz | Level 8
wow,, thats awesome.. didnt know about these functions in sas.. Thanks 🙂
ballardw
Super User

And if for some reason you would like to have a random but not uniform chance of selection something like:

idx=rand('table', 0.2, 0.4, 0.1, 0.05, 0.15, 0.1);
RandLetter=_[idx];

You need to know the number of elements selected from and the numbers represent the percentage of selecting that position. They must add to 1 or you will either get a n+1 possible response if the sum is less than 1 with the probability not included in the total or examine the documentation as the possibilities get a bit harder to explain quickly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation