BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Could you please help me write a condition to check for one variable in a dataset using data step? I don't want to use SASHELP.VCOLUMN. Is there any function to tackle to check for variable?

I just need only the condition to check if variable exists in a dataset.

10 REPLIES 10
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Thanks, any other ways?
Reeza
Super User

You can loop through the variables using CALL VNEXT().

@David_Billa wrote:
Thanks, any other ways?

David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
How to check for the data if the variable exists?

I would like to know whether the variable exists and if exists whether
there is a data available or not?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@David_Billa wrote:
How to check for the data if the variable exists?

I would like to know whether the variable exists and if exists whether
there is a data available or not?

That is a totally different question.  Do you want to test if the variable EVER has a non-missing value?

Also what do you mean by test in a data step?  Once you reference a variable in the code of a datastep the compiler will see the reference and create the variable for you.

Here is a data step that will test if a variable ever has any missing values and generate a macro variable you can use to drive some future decisions.  This will test the dataset HAVE for the variable X and create the macro variable X_EXISTS with either 0 or 1 as the value.

data _null_;
  if _n_=1 then call symputx('x_exists','0');
  set have ;
  if not missing(X) then do;
    call symputx('x_exists','1');
    stop;
  end;
run;
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Yes, I want to test whethe the variable has a non missing value
Reeza
Super User
Datasets typically have multiple records. When you say non missing value, is that for a specific row or all rows? If you have 10 records, 6 missing and 4 non missing what happens?
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Would like to check for non missing values for all the rows
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@David_Billa wrote:
Would like to check for non missing values for all the rows

Please create examples and what you want.

For example here is code that checks every value of X in dataset HAVE and sets to dataset variables ANY_MISSING and ANY_POPULATED.  It just writes them to the log , but you could make macro variables if you want.

data _null_;
  retain any_missing 0 any_populated 0;
  if eof then put any_missing= any_populated=;
  set have end=eof;
  if missing(X) then any_missing=1;
  else any_populated=1;
run;

So for 2 binary variables there are 4 possible combinations.

any_missing=0 and any_populated=0 - means the dataset has NO observations.

any_missing=1 and any_populated=0 - means ALL of the observations have missing values for X.

any_missing=0 and any_populated=1 - means ALL of the observations have non-missing values for X, that is NONE of the observations have missing values of X.

any_missing=1 and any_populated=1 - means some observations have missing values for X and some have non-missing values of X.

Reeza
Super User
Probably overkill for what you need but here's some code that prepares a few variants of a missing report on your data.

You can run the code directly from GitHub and see the results and the different summary results.

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/2de1faf1644dc8160fe721056202f111

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation