BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DamianSilas
Calcite | Level 5

I have a variable, NSAT_M, that lists SAT scores. However, for those who are missing SAT scores, 'N/A' was entered into this variable column. Thus, when I imported the Excel into SAS, it identified NSAT_M as a character variable.

I was able to use the DELETE statement to remove any observations with the 'N/A' value in the NSAT_M field, but this does not solve my problem of NSAT_M still being considered a character variable.

Is there a way for me to change the variable to numeric, even though those 'N/A' entries still exist in the original file?

From what I've found online so far, this isn't possible. I realize that the easy way to do this would be to remove any 'N/A's from the original Excel file and then reimport it to SAS so that it's automatically characterized as a numeric variable, but (for some reason) my supervisor is telling me I need to figure out a way to do this directly in SAS without altering the Excel file.

Any help would be appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

HI @DamianSilas  How about using a Custom informat and then do whatever once the new variable with the right values is set as numeric.

For example, _Same_ is read the value as is

proc format;
 invalue conv
 'N/A'=.
 other=_same_
 ;
run;
 data have;
  input var $;
 cards;
N/A
;

data want;
set have;
new_var=input(var,conv8.);
run;
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @DamianSilas 

Another approach could be:

data want (drop=var rename=(var_num = var));
	set have;
	if strip(var) = 'N/A' then var = '' ; /* var = character variable */
	var_num=input(var, best8.);
run;

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@ed_sas_member  Good thinking. If you do want to try the traditional method, add the ?? modifier spice up your input function, so you don't have to conditionally execute 🙂 Have fun! cheers!

data have;
input var $;
cards;
N/A
;

data want (drop=var rename=(var_num = var));
	set have;
	*if strip(var) = 'N/A' then var = '' ; /* var = character variable */
	var_num=input(var,?? best8.);
run;
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks for the tip @novinosrin ! Always on top 👍

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation