BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MicheleB0108
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to change a column (MarkDown1) from a character type to numeric type. In a previous post, I asked how to change NA to 0, which I've done successfully. I didn't know if there's a way to change the type that the column is as well. I'm trying to use the numbers in the field for PROC MEANS and then use that to create a line graph.  I'm using University Edition Basic 3.8. I attached a picture to show what I'm talking about in case I'm explaining it wrong. Little to no code experience. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

See this very small example

data test;
    markdown1='439.80';
    num_markdown1=input(markdown1, best8.);
run;
MicheleB0108
Calcite | Level 5

How do I do that on a large scale for every value in the field?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Start with a simple step that does one variable:

data want;
set have;
num_markdown1 = input(markdown1, best8.);
run;

Now, you want to create a dynamic version of that.

We make a dataset containing variable names:

data varnames;
input name $32.;
datalines;
markdown1
;

Then, we create the first step, using our name list:

data _null_;
set varnames end=done;
if _n_ = 1 then call execute('data want; set have;'):
call execute(cats('num_',name,' = input(',name,', best8.);'));
if done then call execute('run;');
run;

You can create the varnames dataset from dictionary.columns (sashelp.vcolumn), if you can find a suitable where condition to extract the wanted names automatically; otherwise, just expand the step with the datalines.

MicheleB0108
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much! One last question, how do you save your current code in the University Edition?

ballardw
Super User

@MicheleB0108 wrote:

I am trying to change a column (MarkDown1) from a character type to numeric type. In a previous post, I asked how to change NA to 0, which I've done successfully. I didn't know if there's a way to change the type that the column is as well. I'm trying to use the numbers in the field for PROC MEANS and then use that to create a line graph.  I'm using University Edition Basic 3.8. I attached a picture to show what I'm talking about in case I'm explaining it wrong. Little to no code experience. Thank you!

It sounds like you used proc import to read the data.

You can avoid this particular issue by not using proc import and read data in a data step as needed in the first place. A custom INFORMAT can be a very powerful tool for reading such data.

proc format library = work;
invalue myna (upcase)
'NA' = 0
other = [f16];
run;

data example;
   input x myna.;
datalines;
na
NA
;

The (UPCASE) option will convert the text encountered to upper case before comparing the value, which may be of use if you have manual data entry and sometimes get "na" "Na" or "nA" actually entered.

Or you could such an informat in creating a new variable:

data want;
   set have;
   numericmarkdown = input(markdown,myna.);
run;

use  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation