BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
A_Swoosh
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS community,

I have two datasets where I'm trying to change the variable names in one dataset to match another. The variables that are particularly important are quarterly variables which don't correspond in both datasets.

For example,

Dataset 1:

q12018_units q12018_stdunits q22018_units q22018_stdunits and so on...

Dataset2:

q1_2018_units q2_2018_units ... q1_2018_std_units q1_2018_std_units and so on...

I'm trying to change the variable names from dataset 1 to match those from dataset 2.

Code I had:

proc transpose data=a2(obs=0) out=temp1 (DROP=_label_);
       var _all_;
run;
PROC SORT DATA=TEMP1;
BY _ALL_;
RUN;
proc transpose data=b1(obs=0) out=temp2 (DROP=_label_); var _all_; run;
data temp; merge TEMP1(rename=(_name_=name)) TEMP2; name=lowcase(name); _name_=upcase(_name_); run;
data _null_; set temp end=last; if _n_=1 then call execute('proc datasets library=work nolist nodetails;modify b1;rename '); call execute(catx('=',_name_,name)); if last then call execute(';quit;'); run;

The two datasets aren't in the same order so it's making life a little more difficult to match these. When I apply this code, they don't match to the corresponding value despite being similar in the temp dataset. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm stumped. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

First, I agree with @ballardw - fix the original dataset with the unwanted names.

BUT if your were to do this with code, and all the rename-able variables have the structure Qnyyyy_UNITS and Qnyyyy_STDUNITS, then you should use the dictionary feature of proc sql instead of transposing variable names,  Something like:

proc sql noprint;
  select distinct  catx('=',name,tranwrd(cats(substr(name,1,2),'_',substr(name,3)),'stdunits','std_units')) 
  into :renames separated by ' '
  from dictionary.columns
  where libname='WORK' and memname='DATASET1';
quit;

%put &=renames;

data want;
  set dataset1 (rename=(&renames))  dataset2;
run;

The SELECT ... INTO expression creates a macrovar, named RENAMES in this case.  The 

%put &=renames;

statement will display it on the sas log.  It will look something like

q12018_units=q1_2018_units   q12018_stdunits=q1_2018_std_units

Then you can combine the datasets, renaming variables in dataset1.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Here's a radical idea. Instead of fixing a problem go back in your process and make sure the names are the same for which ever is the problem set.

It is usually easiest to make sure that your read step gets the right names than to fix them later.

japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I tried to create a dataset like this, but it was renamed by your code without any problem.

data have1;
  length q12018_units q12018_stdunits q22018_units q22018_stdunits 8;
run;

Data have2;
  length q1_2018_units q2_2018_units q1_2018_std_units q2_2018_std_units 8;
run;

Can you please present the two datasets in question?

Then you can compare the list of variables in proc contents.
You may find that there are some variable names that do not match, and that may be affecting the results.

proc contents data=a2 out=cont_a2(keep=MEMNAME NAME TYPE);
run;
proc contents data=b1 out=cont_b1(keep=MEMNAME NAME TYPE);
run;

mkeintz
PROC Star

First, I agree with @ballardw - fix the original dataset with the unwanted names.

BUT if your were to do this with code, and all the rename-able variables have the structure Qnyyyy_UNITS and Qnyyyy_STDUNITS, then you should use the dictionary feature of proc sql instead of transposing variable names,  Something like:

proc sql noprint;
  select distinct  catx('=',name,tranwrd(cats(substr(name,1,2),'_',substr(name,3)),'stdunits','std_units')) 
  into :renames separated by ' '
  from dictionary.columns
  where libname='WORK' and memname='DATASET1';
quit;

%put &=renames;

data want;
  set dataset1 (rename=(&renames))  dataset2;
run;

The SELECT ... INTO expression creates a macrovar, named RENAMES in this case.  The 

%put &=renames;

statement will display it on the sas log.  It will look something like

q12018_units=q1_2018_units   q12018_stdunits=q1_2018_std_units

Then you can combine the datasets, renaming variables in dataset1.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

It is hardly possible to use the names in the second dataset in the renaming process, because matching them with the names in first dataset is not possible. Instead you could use functions to change the names so that they match those in the second dataset:

data have1;
  length q12018_units q12018_stdunits q22018_units q22018_stdunits 8;
  call missing(of _all_);
run;

proc print data=have1;run;

data work.debug(keep= Name newName);
   set sashelp.vcolumn end= jobDone;
   where Libname = 'WORK' and MemName = 'HAVE1';

length newName $ 32;

if _n_ = 1 then do;
      call execute('proc datasets library= work nolist; modify Have1; rename');
   end;

newName = cats(substr(Name, 1, 2), '_', substr(Name, 3));
   newName = tranwrd(newName, 'stdunits', 'std_units');

call execute(cats(Name, '=', NewName));

if jobDone then do;
      call execute(';quit;');
   end;
run;

proc print data=have1;run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation