BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DragonLEG
Calcite | Level 5

I just attended the WUSS 2023 conference and heard about a macro called %squeeze that can potentially save you space in my file sizes.  Can I save the code as a "global" macro or is easier to just run the macro and then the code to call the macro?  It seems like it would be a useful tool for large permanent datasets... 

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You should also consider the SAS COMPRESS option if it is datasets you wish to remove blank space from. In my experience this can reduce sizes by up to 90% or so for large datasets containing many long character variables.

maguiremq
SAS Super FREQ

You could store it in your autoexec. I'd probably just save it somewhere (not sure what platform you're using) and use the %INCLUDE statement in your autoexec.

ballardw
Super User

Look up AUTOCALL in the documentation. That would specify file locations for SAS to search for macros that have not been compiled yet in the current session. If you then use that macro and the file is in the Autocall library then SAS compiles it as needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation