BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

I have two different datasets which represents patients who have been diagnosed with colon or rectum cancer (colorectal cancer).

The first data (attached to this post) has following four variables (date of diagnosis known thus interval variable DOD_DIFF was calculated):

1. Date: ‘date of visit’
  2. DOD_DIFF: the difference between the ‘date of visit’ and the date of diagnosis confirmed, ranges 1 thru 30
  3. CODE: 12 distinct diagnosis code
  4. WGT_DX: arbitrary weight to indicate how close the diagnosis is to a true diagnosis, a colorectal cancer. For example, 153 takes value 1 because it is an exact code for a colon cancer. 154 takes value 1 because it is an exact code for a rectum cancer. 211 takes value 6 because it’s a code for a benign cancer thus a weaker evidence of a cancer.

The second data:

Same variables but DOD_DIFF is not known due to missing in date of diagnosis.    

My goal is to answer a question: if you pick the first diagnosis associated with the highest weight ‘WGT_DX’ how much error will you produce based on DOD_DIFF variable?

Therefore, I want to estimate this error using the first data with known information by picking the first diagnosis associated with the highest weight ‘WGT_DX’, before applying this approach to the data with unknown date of diagnosis.

To serve this purpose, I’d like to calculate weighted average score for each patient and assess the distribution of WEIGHTED_AVERAGE_SCORE for the entire population afterwards.

The logic used to calculate a weighted average error for each patient is following:

MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF

MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,

MIN_DIFF*MIN_WGT AS DIFF_WEIGHT,

SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVERAGE_SCORE PER PATIENT

I really hope this makes sense. Please let me know if not!

The SAS codes used is below which led me to an error:

DATA HAVE(KEEP=WGT_DX ID CODE DOD_DIFF SER_DATE_DX); SET HAVE; /*N_ROWS=142,598, N_DISTINCT_PATIENTS=6,375*/
IF CODE IN ('153') THEN WGT_DX=1; ELSE    
IF CODE IN ('154') THEN WGT_DX=1; ELSE   
IF CODE IN ('159') THEN WGT_DX=2; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('197') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('199') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('209') THEN WGT_DX=5; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('211') THEN WGT_DX=6; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('230') THEN WGT_DX=2; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('235') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('239') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('V10') THEN WGT_DX=4; ELSE  
IF CODE IN ('V76') THEN WGT_DX=4; 
RUN;

PROC SORT DATA=HAVE;
BY ID CODE SER_DATE_DX;
FORMAT SER_DATE_DX DATE9.; 
RUN; 

PROC SQL;
create table ERROR_FIRST_DIAGNOSIS as
select CODE, ID, MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF,
                 MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,
   SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVER
from HAVE
GROUP BY ID;
QUIT; 

PROC UNIVARIATE DATA=ERROR_FIRST_DIAGNOSIS;
VAR WEIGHTED_AVER;
HISTOGRAM;
RUN;  

817  PROC SQL;

818  create table P.ERROR_FIRST_DIAGNOSIS as

819  select CODE, ID, MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF,

820                   MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,

821                   MIN_DIFF*MIN_WGT AS DIFF_WEIGHT,

822     SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVER

823  from P.HAVE

824  GROUP BY ID;

ERROR: The SUM summary function requires a numeric argument.

ERROR: The SUM summary function requires a numeric argument.

ERROR: The following columns were not found in the contributing tables: DIFF_WEIGHT, MIN_DIFF,

MIN_WGT.

825  QUIT;

picking first diagnosis blindly can cause serious error or none. but the range or error need to be estimated using the date with known informationpicking first diagnosis blindly can cause serious error or none. but the range or error need to be estimated using the date with known information

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

@Cruise

Here's what I understand you to be saying:

1. In the absence of DOD_DIFF, then for each ID:
    1. choose the earliest data of visit
    2. If there are multiple records for that data, choose the highest WGT_DX, call is WGT_DX_PARTIAL
    3. You want be one such value per ID.  (There seems to be no reference to the variable CODE in your numeric example).
  2. In the presence of DOD_DIFF, for each ID:
    1. choose the minimum DOD_DIFF
    2. If there are multiple records for that value of DOD_DIFF< choose the highest WGT_DX, call it WGT_DX_FULL
    3. Again you want one such value per ID
  3. I presume your measurement of error, is just WGT_DX_ERROR= WGT_DX_FULL - WGT_DX_PARTIAL.  Again this is one value per ID, correct?

4. So dos this mean you simply want to regress WGT_DX_FULL on WGT_DX_PARTIAL?  If so, you don't need table 2, just table 1.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

This post was inspired by my previous post that you guys had kindly responded. 

@novinosrin @Reeza @mkeintz

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @Cruise  Good evening, I am afraid I am about to run to catch red line CTA to get back home(Chicago). I will certainly look into it tomorrow soon as I get back to my lab, but I am pretty sure somebody else will respond tonight. Have a good one!

mkeintz
PROC Star

@Cruise wrote:

To serve this purpose, I’d like to calculate weighted average score for each patient and assess the distribution of WEIGHTED_AVERAGE_SCORE for the entire population afterwards.

The logic used to calculate a weighted average error for each patient is following:

MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF

MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,

SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVERAGE_SCORE PER PATIENT

I really hope this makes sense. Please let me know if not!

I'm a little confused.  Is this correct?

MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF   is a constant within a given ID

MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT   is also a constant within a given ID

MIN_DIFF*MIN_WGT AS DIFF_WEIGHT   is therefore also a constant within a given ID

So wouldn't

SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) be same ratio as DIFF_WEIGHT/MIN_WGT?
which by definition would end up being
   (MIN_DIFF*MIN_WGT)/MIN_WGT   = MIN_DIFF?

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13
Good catch, I think the proc sql needs to have group by: Id and code. Because I was trying to deduplicate the data first by Id and code then estimate the weighted average per patient.
After dedup do: Min-diff*min-wgt and sum this for each patient and divide by sum of min-wgt for each patient.
Does that make sense?
Any alternative approach to estimate the error associated with the picks of the first high evidence diagnoses regardless of dod-diff? Please see the image for the best and worst scenario where dod-diff varies depending on when high evidence diagnosis happened in relation to dod-diff.
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Good morning @Cruise  Not familiar with the subject, so let's take the piecemeal approach and you will have to lead us

I amended  Proc sql section in your code and tested for ID=1(just for one ID)

Substitute group by id,code;  for group by id; if you want to group by both making it composite

(where=(id=1))

PROC SQL;
select *, MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF,
                 MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,
				calculated MIN_DIFF* calculated MIN_WGT AS DIFF_WEIGHT
   /*SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVER*/
from HAVE(where=(id=1))
GROUP BY ID;
QUIT; 

Can you confirm the below one is what you intended

SAS Output

The SAS System

SER_DATE_DX DOD_DIFF CODE ID WGT_DX MIN_DIFF MIN_WGT DIFF_WEIGHT
17006 1 197 1 3 1 1 1
17028 21 197 1 3 1 1 1
17032 25 153 1 1 1 1 1
17031 24 153 1 1 1 1 1
17028 21 153 1 1 1 1 1
17006 1 153 1 1 1 1 1
17013 6 197 1 3 1 1 1
17013 6 153 1 1 1 1 1
17006 1 197 1 3 1 1 1
17028 21 197 1 3 1 1 1

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Next one:

/*WEIGHTED_AVER*/
PROC SQL;
create table ERROR_FIRST_DIAGNOSIS1 as
select *,SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVER
from
(select *, MIN(DOD_DIFF) AS MIN_DIFF,
                 MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,
				calculated MIN_DIFF* calculated MIN_WGT AS DIFF_WEIGHT
from HAVE(where=(id=1))
GROUP BY ID)
group by id;
QUIT; 

SAS Output

The SAS System

SER_DATE_DX DOD_DIFF CODE ID WGT_DX MIN_DIFF MIN_WGT DIFF_WEIGHT WEIGHTED_AVER
17006 1 197 1 3 1 1 1 1
17028 21 197 1 3 1 1 1 1
17032 25 153 1 1 1 1 1 1
17031 24 153 1 1 1 1 1 1
17028 21 153 1 1 1 1 1 1
17006 1 153 1 1 1 1 1 1
17013 6 197 1 3 1 1 1 1
17013 6 153 1 1 1 1 1 1
17006 1 197 1 3 1 1 1 1
17028 21 197 1 3 1 1 1 1

All 1s being 10/10=1

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Here's my opinion:

Computing weighted averages in PROC SUMMARY is an awful lot easier than doing it in PROC SQL. In this case, you would have to rearrange the data so that each score is its own record. But it often happens that the data shown is the result of taking a data set where it is already in the desired format and then for presentation purposes making long rows for each patient/observation. But I admit that I haven't gone through the information provided in the original post in detail to see if PROC SUMMARY is really better than PROC SQL for this specific application.

In addition, this SQL code

SUM(DIFF_WEIGHT)/SUM(MIN_WGT) as WEIGHTED_AVERAGE_SCORE

in certain situations with missing data will not produce the proper weighted average. If the variable in the numerator is missing and the variable in the denominator is not missing, or vice versa, then you get an incorrect weighted average. PROC SUMMARY does not have this deficiency.

--
Paige Miller
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

Thanks a lot! @novinosrin@PaigeMiller@mkeintz

I'm working on it with all your comments back in mind.

From the interactions and the questions posted here, I admit that that I'm getting to know what I want to achieve better. This is a simulation exercise using known and unknown data. In the known data, I have both 'date of visit' and 'date of diagnosis' variables available. In the unknown data, I have only  'date of visit' (ser_date_dx)  but no 'date of diagnosis'. therefore, the goal is to estimate the error using the known data and apply the algorithm associated with the least error to the unknown data.  

DOD_DIFF in known data is the difference between the date of visit and the date of diagnosis , attached to this forum. 

The error that I'm trying to estimate is:

- If pick the row associated with the earliest 'date of visit' (min(ser_date_dx)) and the highest weight diagnosis code (min(wgt_dx)) how much error will be produced to compare that you would have used (DOD_DIFF) which is available only in known data but not available in unknown data. Sorry for repeating seemingly simple concept here. But it helps myself to understand the problem better 🙂 to be honest. 

RED: WHAT YOU CHOOSE WITH UNKNOWN DATA. BLUE: WITH KNOWN DATARED: WHAT YOU CHOOSE WITH UNKNOWN DATA. BLUE: WITH KNOWN DATA

So the code below cover the part to calculate the weighted average using the date of visit (ser_date_dx). But the missing piece now is the error estimate compare to the scenario using DOD_DIFF. 

PROC SQL;
select *, MIN(SER_DATE_DX) AS MIN_DIFF,
          MIN(WGT_DX) AS MIN_WGT,
		  calculated MIN_DIFF*calculated MIN_WGT AS DIFF_WEIGHT
from HAVE(where=(id=4350))
GROUP BY ID;
QUIT; 

Please keep questioning me. This post is only evolving with your critical thinking! I truly greatly appreciate your time! 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

" But the missing pieace now is the relative error to the scenario using DOD_DIFF. "

Do you have the logic for that?

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@novinosrin, would you please rephrase your question? It sounds important aspect that I have to understand.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Honestly, I am the one who is lagging here although it is so very interesting. I was basically trying to see where and how we can progress to the next step in code development. I assumed the logic for calculating relative error as you mentioned seemed the next. I see an explanation here 

"The error that I'm trying to estimate is:

- If pick the row associated with the earliest 'date of visit' (min(ser_date_dx)) and the highest weight diagnosis code (min(wgt_dx)) how much error will be produced to compare that you would have used (DOD_DIFF) which is available only in known data but not available in unknown data. Sorry for repeating seemingly simple concept here. But it helps myself to understand the problem better 🙂 to be honest. "

However I haven't comprehended that enough to translate to a code. If Paige, Mark or somebody could push that understanding further, my fingers are waiting 

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13
I attempted to visualize the logic where error is produced in the image attached. The error is produced between two scenarios: red and blue. Most often times, you end up picking the same row based on the date of visit (ser_date_dx) and the highest evidence diagnosis (min(WGT_DX)) even if you don't know the difference between the date of visit and date of diagnosis which is DOD_DIFF. However, you're potential to choose different row if your decision was based on the DOD_DIFF and the highest weight diagnosis (min(WGT_DX)) in some cases. So, the question becomes, how much error are you making if you make your decision based on the best available information to you which are data of visit (ser_date_dx) and min(WGT_DX) because you did not know the true value of DOD_DIFF. Unfortunately, my understanding is limited to a conceptualization but not coding. I hope the experts you mentioned would reach out to this post and share their insights too. Thanks for asking! Bear with me please.
mkeintz
PROC Star

@Cruise

Here's what I understand you to be saying:

1. choose the earliest data of visit
    2. If there are multiple records for that data, choose the highest WGT_DX, call is WGT_DX_PARTIAL
    3. You want be one such value per ID.  (There seems to be no reference to the variable CODE in your numeric example).
    1. choose the minimum DOD_DIFF
    2. If there are multiple records for that value of DOD_DIFF< choose the highest WGT_DX, call it WGT_DX_FULL
  3. I presume your measurement of error, is just WGT_DX_ERROR= WGT_DX_FULL - WGT_DX_PARTIAL.  Again this is one value per ID, correct?

4. So dos this mean you simply want to regress WGT_DX_FULL on WGT_DX_PARTIAL?  If so, you don't need table 2, just table 1.

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@mkeintz, @novinosrin, @PaigeMiller

Mkeintz, Thank you for your amazingly systematic presentation of the problem in clear subsequent logics. You also had coined in a new idea that I have not seen for possibility. That is to use two parallel scenario: absence vs presence of DOD_DIFF using the 'known' data. And also suggesting an alternative way to look at a measurement error. Please, hoping your time allows, review my responses in red in the text below.

1. Choose the earliest data of visit
    2. If there are multiple records for that data, choose the lowest WGT_DX, call is WGT_DX_PARTIAL
    3. You want be one such value per ID
    4. (There seems to be no reference to the variable CODE in your numeric example) The derivation of WGT_DX is following:

IF CODE IN ('153') THEN WGT_DX=1; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('154') THEN WGT_DX=1; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('159') THEN WGT_DX=2; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('197') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('199') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('209') THEN WGT_DX=5; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('211') THEN WGT_DX=6; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('230') THEN WGT_DX=2; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('235') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('239') THEN WGT_DX=3; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('V10') THEN WGT_DX=4; ELSE

IF CODE IN ('V76') THEN WGT_DX=4;

1. Choose the minimum DOD_DIFF
    2. If there are multiple records for that value of DOD_DIFF< choose the lowest WGT_DX, call it WGT_DX_FULL
  3. I presume your measurement of error, is just WGT_DX_ERROR= WGT_DX_FULL - WGT_DX_PARTIAL.  Again this is one value per ID, correct? CORRECT. However, for the next step, I will have to quantify the error associated with each diagnostic CODE (diagnosis, in this case, 12 distinct diagnosis codes, as listed above. For example, 153 (colon cancer) and 154(rectum cancer) are the strongest evidence to suggest a colorectal cancer. However, how much error would be associated with each codes in terms of time factor regardless the level of evidence to lead to a true diagnosis. But for now, I'm focusing on the error per patient due to DOD_DIFF known vs unknown scenarios.  
    - Regarding WGT_DX_ERROR= WGT_DX_FULL - WGT_DX_PARTIAL. I agree, the difference between weights could be a proxy for an error. However, would it be considered weighted? Also, WGT_DX is monotonic arbitrary numbers that I have assigned to each diagnosis CODE myself based on my personal judgment as to how far/close the given diagnosis CODE for a colorectal cancer, where 153 and 154 being the correct reference.  With that said, how about using the difference between 'date of visit' that is corresponded with absence vs presence of DOD_DIFF scenarios respectively and multiply by the WGT_DX_ERROR you suggested? to have time factor weighed in the error estimate? Please correct me, if it doesn't make sense. The error produced here is not only the compromise to the correct diagnosis but also a time-factor. At the end of this project, we're aiming for the best value to replace a missing 'date of diagnosis' in the unknown data.
  4. So this mean you simply want to regress WGT_DX_FULL on WGT_DX_PARTIAL? Are you suggesting a linear regression between these two continuous variables and look at the estimates? It sounds very interesting, do you have time to elaborate on this a little more?  If so, you don't need table 2, just table 1. Do you mind to clarify which table are you referring to?

This is a rewarding learning experience. I'm so excited to continuously learning from you guys!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation