BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aexor
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I want to know if we can use CAST like functionality in PROC SQL.

I have query where the internal query returns value which is in varchar format and outer query is having UUID datatype . So whenever I am trying to compare values it is throwing errors .

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, you can !

There is :

• CAST Function
  • CAST= Data Set Option
  • CAST= LIBNAME Statement Option

Just try it and let us know if you encounter any obstacles (which are only hurdles we can overcome).

Thanks,

Koen

Aexor
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
proc sql noprint;
81 create table work.ids as
82 select distinct trim(lowcase(CAST (plan_id as uuid)))
--
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, (, ), *, **, +, ',', -, '.', /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND,
BETWEEN, CONTAINS, EQ, EQT, GE, GET, GT, GTT, IN, IS, LE, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, NOT, NOTIN, OR, ^, ^=, |, ||,
~, ~=.
ERROR 202-322: The option or parameter is not recognized and will be ignored.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post the SAS log of your PROC SQL step. I suspect you might be using SQL passthrough. If so use the CAST function of the external database.

Aexor
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
No, I am not using sql passthrough .
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In that case the SAS PUT function provides similar functionality.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS 9.4 only got two data types: Numeric and Character. 

Varchar and UUID are database specific data types that don't exist in SAS. Which database are you interfacing with?

The discussion here shows you how to cast from uuid to varchar if using explicit pass-through SQL interfacing with Postgres.

If you transfer the data first to the SAS side then both UUID and VARCHAR get mapped to a SAS CHAR columns.

SAS/Access database specific docu like the one here for Postgres shows you what gets mapped how.

Please share your SQL and the related SAS log so we can understand what you're really trying to do and where things fail.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

UUID or GUID is a 36 character /128 bit value. It is incomprehensible how one can cast a varchar value with a UUID value.
It will be wonderful if somebody enlightens on that possibility,.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Sajid01 wrote:

UUID or GUID is a 36 character /128 bit value. It is incomprehensible how one can cast a varchar value with a UUID value.
It will be wonderful if somebody enlightens on that possibility,.

Not sure what point you're making. Why couldn't one store 36 characters in a Varchar? Have a look at below discussion.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Error-in-PROC-SQL-query/m-p/859565#M339591 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks @Patrick .
What i was wondering how one can convert any a string value to UUID. Looks something improbable but wondering if there is a way.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Sajid01 wrote:

Thanks @Patrick .
What i was wondering how one can convert any a string value to UUID. Looks something improbable but wondering if there is a way.

If you want to generate a UUID value use the UUIDGEN() function. But the number generated has nothing to do with any input string. 

If you want to associate the generated UUID with a specific character string then you will need to store that association in a separate dataset.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation