BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
phopkinson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am currently having an issue with disk space in SAS when using CAS, unfortunately there is no option to increase the disk space. So wanted to know what I could do to reduce the file size in CAS and if there are any process that will help, so basically small overview of what I am trying to do - i am loading 4 datasets into the CAS area and then joining them using a proc fedsql. This process did work with only three datasets, but now I have added the fourth it is problematic. 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello
In the event one cannot add hardware resources, the feasible option to re examine the code /algorithm.
Look for alternative approaches to accomplish the same task.

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Your issue is probably related to CAS_DISK_CACHE being too small.

If you are using Viya 4, you can switch memory-format from standard to DVR (Duplicate Value Reduction).

Duplicate Value Reduction is a powerful "memory format" for CAS tables that significantly reduces their size.

It makes the tables less big WITHOUT performance impact.

( Compression can also be done, but that has definitely a performance impact )

Viya 2020.1: CAS ‘Duplicate Value Reduction’

Posted 12-18-2020 02:14 PM | by StephenFoerster

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Viya-2020-1-CAS-Duplicate-Value-Reduction/ta-...

CAS: Making DVR the Default

Posted 08-26-2022 10:50 AM | by StephenFoerster

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/CAS-Making-DVR-the-Default/ta-p/830612

Koen

phopkinson
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Koen, that is really useful.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation