BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
niloya
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have more than 10 different data set like the table below. I need to use those 10 different data set to build the query. Would you please help me to build a macro to pull the data set directly via query?  i have 10 different nums table and each of them has 1000 rows. Each num will be used in proc sql step to build another query like below. I would like to set up the query via macro step rather than pulling each query. Would you please help?

nums

Select * from table where num in (num1)

Select * from table where num in (num2)

Select * from table where num in (num3)

Select * from table where num in (num4)

Select * from table where num in (num5)

Select * from table where num in (num6)

Select * from table where num in (num7)

Select * from table where num in (num8)

Select * from table where num in (num9)

Select * from table where num in (num10)

11 REPLIES 11
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If these many data sets are the result of your earlier question where you ask how to split the data into many data sets, you are going about this the wrong way, and making life harder for yourself. You really ought to consider keeping everything in one big data set and then you can perform analyses or other tasks using the BY statement, rather than writing loops.

--
Paige Miller
niloya
Fluorite | Level 6

@PaigeMiller  The system does not let me pull in data greater than 1000 rows. That is why i am splitting it to 1000 and then pulling it via query

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What system is placing this limit on you?  SAS does not have any such limit.

niloya
Fluorite | Level 6

I am connecting different servers through SAS. It is winsql. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@niloya wrote:

I am connecting different servers through SAS. It is winsql. 

Move the list to the other server and then you can reference in the query you push to the other server.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Have that limit removed there. This is plain ridiculous.

@niloya wrote:

@PaigeMiller  The system does not let me pull in data greater than 1000 rows. That is why i am splitting it to 1000 and then pulling it via query

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Do you want to generate code like:

select * from table BIG where num in (select num from NUM1)

Or code like:

select * from table BIG where num in 
(102491
)
niloya
Fluorite | Level 6

@Tom  Thank you Tom. i prefered this one.

select * from table BIG where num in 
(102491
)

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If the BIG table has a lot of columns or multiple observations per value of NUM it is probably going to be a lot easier to instead move the list of numbers to the remote machine so it can be joined there.

If the values are actual numbers like in your example then you should be able to place all 1000 numbers into a single macro variable.

So you could create 10 subsets of your remote database by generating 10 select statements like this:

PROC SQL ;
   connect to ..... as MYDB ..... ;
%do i=1 %to 10 ;
   select num into :list separated by ',' from num&i;
   create table subset&i as select * from connection to mydb
  (select * from BIG where num in (&list)
  );
%end;
quit;
Reeza
Super User

Tutorial on converting a working program to a macro

This method is pretty robust and helps prevent errors and makes it much easier to debug your code. Obviously biased, because I wrote it 🙂 https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Turning%20a%20program%20into%20a%20macro.md

Reeza
Super User

Tutorial on converting a working program to a macro

This method is pretty robust and helps prevent errors and makes it much easier to debug your code. Obviously biased, because I wrote it 🙂 https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Turning%20a%20program%20into%20a%20macro.md

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation