BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dane7722
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to create a code that will give me all the top level parts from using a bill of Material table I have.  The table is set up similar to what I have shown below, basically I need to go from the very bottom to the top.  I am just not sure where to start, also the actual table will not be ordered where a whole bill of material is shown row after row. 

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@dane7722:

You need 2 lookup tables, desirably with O(1) search run time: parent-to-child (PC) and child-to-parent (CP). Then:

1. Load the file into the tables.
  2. Read the file, discarding all records where a child is also a parent, i.e. keep those where the children are not in PC table.
  3. For each such record, repeatedly look in the CP table, every time reassigning the child value as a parent value.
  4. When the reassigned parent value is no longer in CP table, you've found the top-level parent, so output.

In other (i.e. SAS) words (using hash tables for PC and CP):

data have ;                                                                                                                             
  input (parent child) (:$3.) ;                                                                                                         
  cards ;                                                                                                                               
1b1  1c1                                                                                                                                
1h1  1i1                                                                                                                                
1c1  1d1                                                                                                                                
1a1  1b1                                                                                                                                
1f1  1g1                                                                                                                                
1g1  1h1                                                                                                                                
1e1  1f1                                                                                                                                
;                                                                                                                                       
data want (rename=parent=top_level) ;                                                                                                   
  if _n_ = 1 then do ;                                                                                                                  
    dcl hash pc (dataset:"have") ;                                                                                                      
    pc.definekey ("parent") ;                                                                                                           
    pc.definedata ("child") ;                                                                                                           
    pc.definedone () ;                                                                                                                  
    dcl hash cp (dataset:"have") ;                                                                                                      
    cp.definekey ("child") ;                                                                                                            
    cp.definedata ("parent") ;                                                                                                          
    cp.definedone () ;                                                                                                                  
  end ;                                                                                                                                 
  set have ;                                                                                                                            
  if pc.check (key:child) ne 0 ;                                                                                                        
  do while (cp.find (key:parent) = 0) ;                                                                                                 
  end ;                                                                                                                                 
run ;               

Note that this code doesn't handle the entry errors making children the parents of themselves. If such a thing should happen, the DO loop above would iterate infinitely. To guard against this, you may want to put a limit on the number of iterations, such as:

do _n_ = 1 to 100 while (cp.find (key:parent) = 0) ;                                                                                  
  end ; 

Kind regards

Paul D.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User
Do you have a SAS/OR license?
You can check with

proc product_status;run;

If you see SAS/OR you can use the PROC BOM and anything without a 'parent' will be identified.
https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=orbomug&docsetTarget=orbomug_bom_examples01.htm&docsetVersio...
dane7722
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the help, unfortunately I don't have SAS/OR

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@dane7722:

You need 2 lookup tables, desirably with O(1) search run time: parent-to-child (PC) and child-to-parent (CP). Then:

1. Load the file into the tables.
  2. Read the file, discarding all records where a child is also a parent, i.e. keep those where the children are not in PC table.
  3. For each such record, repeatedly look in the CP table, every time reassigning the child value as a parent value.
  4. When the reassigned parent value is no longer in CP table, you've found the top-level parent, so output.

In other (i.e. SAS) words (using hash tables for PC and CP):

data have ;                                                                                                                             
  input (parent child) (:$3.) ;                                                                                                         
  cards ;                                                                                                                               
1b1  1c1                                                                                                                                
1h1  1i1                                                                                                                                
1c1  1d1                                                                                                                                
1a1  1b1                                                                                                                                
1f1  1g1                                                                                                                                
1g1  1h1                                                                                                                                
1e1  1f1                                                                                                                                
;                                                                                                                                       
data want (rename=parent=top_level) ;                                                                                                   
  if _n_ = 1 then do ;                                                                                                                  
    dcl hash pc (dataset:"have") ;                                                                                                      
    pc.definekey ("parent") ;                                                                                                           
    pc.definedata ("child") ;                                                                                                           
    pc.definedone () ;                                                                                                                  
    dcl hash cp (dataset:"have") ;                                                                                                      
    cp.definekey ("child") ;                                                                                                            
    cp.definedata ("parent") ;                                                                                                          
    cp.definedone () ;                                                                                                                  
  end ;                                                                                                                                 
  set have ;                                                                                                                            
  if pc.check (key:child) ne 0 ;                                                                                                        
  do while (cp.find (key:parent) = 0) ;                                                                                                 
  end ;                                                                                                                                 
run ;               

Note that this code doesn't handle the entry errors making children the parents of themselves. If such a thing should happen, the DO loop above would iterate infinitely. To guard against this, you may want to put a limit on the number of iterations, such as:

do _n_ = 1 to 100 while (cp.find (key:parent) = 0) ;                                                                                  
  end ; 

Kind regards

Paul D.

dane7722
Fluorite | Level 6

@hashman:

Thanks for your help!  

using these functions are very new to me.  but is there a way to set a where statement in here, to only run up the bill of material on a select few bottom level children parts . For example if I only wanted to know the top level of  1d1, and not 1i1.  There are just too many BOMs in my table to go through instance.

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@dane7722: Sure. Just add your where clause beneath the SET statement, such as:

set have ;                                                                                                                            
  where child in ("1d1") ;  

However, I think that it's better to generated the output unfiltered and then select from it the children you want. This is because the code itself identifies the true children-only, i.e. those who are not parents themselves.

Kind regards

Paul D. 

Ksharp
Super User

It is one to one match or one to many match ?

dane7722
Fluorite | Level 6
@Ksharp
One to many match. Also still need a way to resolve only looking for a select few bottom levels. My table is about 30 million rows.
Ksharp
Super User
data have;
input _end  _start ;
cards;
2 1
3 2
4 2
5 2
6 3
10 6
7 6
8 7
9 7
;
run;

proc sql;
create table ancient as
select * from have 
 where _start not in (select _end from have);
quit;

data want(keep=path);
if _n_ eq 1 then do;
length path _path  $ 200 ;
if 0 then set have;
declare hash ha(hashexp:20,dataset:'have(where=(_start is not missing and _end is not missing))',multidata:'y');
ha.definekey('_start');
ha.definedata('_end');
ha.definedone();

declare hash pa(ordered:'y');
declare hiter hi_path('pa');
pa.definekey('n');
pa.definedata('n','path');
pa.definedone();

end;

set ancient;
count=1;n=1;_n=1;
path=catx('|',_start,_end);

pa.add();  
do while(hi_path.next()=0);
 if n ne 1 then pa.remove(key:_n);_n=n;
 _path=path;   
 _start=scan(path,-1,'|');
 rc=ha.find(); 
 if rc ne 0 then output;
 do while(rc=0);
  if not findw(path,strip(_end),'|') then do;
   if length(path)+length(_end)+1 gt lengthc(path) then do;
    putlog 'ERROR: The length of path and _path are set too short';
    stop;
   end;

count+1;n=count;
   path=catx('|',path,_end);
   pa.add();
   path=_path;
 end;
 else output; /*It is a circle*/
  rc=ha.find_next();
end;
end;
pa.clear();

run;
dane7722
Fluorite | Level 6

@Ksharp 

Thank you

Is there any way to do this where not every path is created for example what if I only want to lookup paths for 2 and 10

which would make the output:

1|2

1|2|3|6|10

I don't need all paths from the source table.

Ksharp
Super User

It is not getting you all the pah, it give you the longest path.

If you only want the first and last part ,Change code as:

data have;
input _end  _start ;
cards;
2 1
3 2
4 2
5 2
6 3
10 6
7 6
8 7
9 7
;
run;

proc sql;
create table ancient as
select * from have 
 where _start not in (select _end from have);
quit;

data want(keep= first last); /*<------*/
if _n_ eq 1 then do;
length path _path  $ 200 ;
if 0 then set have;
declare hash ha(hashexp:20,dataset:'have(where=(_start is not missing and _end is not missing))',multidata:'y');
ha.definekey('_start');
ha.definedata('_end');
ha.definedone();

declare hash pa(ordered:'y');
declare hiter hi_path('pa');
pa.definekey('n');
pa.definedata('n','path');
pa.definedone();

end;

set ancient;
length first last $ 80;  /*<-------*/
count=1;n=1;_n=1;
path=catx('|',_start,_end);

pa.add();  
do while(hi_path.next()=0);
 if n ne 1 then pa.remove(key:_n);_n=n;
 _path=path;   
 _start=scan(path,-1,'|');
 rc=ha.find(); 
 if rc ne 0 then do;first=scan(path,1,'|');last=scan(path,-1,'|');output;end;  /*<-------*/
 do while(rc=0);
  if not findw(path,strip(_end),'|') then do;
   if length(path)+length(_end)+1 gt lengthc(path) then do;
    putlog 'ERROR: The length of path and _path are set too short';
    stop;
   end;

count+1;n=count;
   path=catx('|',path,_end);
   pa.add();
   path=_path;
 end;
 else do;first=scan(path,1,'|');last=scan(path,-1,'|');output;end;/*<------*/
  rc=ha.find_next();
end;
end;
pa.clear();
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation