BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
michelconn
Quartz | Level 8

I'm trying to convince management that getting a better CPU will increase the performance of SAS but they need concrete numbers before I can push things farther. 

Luckily my coworker has an I7 16gb ram and I have I5 8gb ram. My plan was to run two identical programs overnight and see which computer finishes first. 

Does anyone have an idea of some good code that could test CPU performance? What SAS operations stress the CPU the most?

7 REPLIES 7
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Will this link be of use to you (https://www.lexjansen.com/nesug/nesug10/ma/ma09.pdf)? 

Reeza
Super User
RAM isn't a huge deal usually with SAS, but disk types can be - my SSD is about 10x as fast as my non-ssd drives.
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@Reeza You are right. Nice point about SSD and non-SSD drives. However in some cases you can choose to do in memory computation (also called in-memory analytics) as advertised here (https://www.sas.com/en_in/solutions/in-memory-analytics.html).

In such a case having more memory might be better.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you want to pinpoint CPU types as the performance driver, you need to isolate that fact. Meaning that everything else (main bus/bridge, I/O and network controllers, storage) must be identical.

But from my SAS experience, it's not the processors, but mainly your storage where most performance can be gained. Switching from, say, a single spinning metal drive to multiple SSDs will feel like being on a different planet.

What is your current SAS setup? Client/server, or desktops only? If the second, how many desktops? If the first, what kind of hardware and which operating system on the server?

michelconn
Quartz | Level 8
I am desktop only but most of the data I pull from is stored on a server. I would say a majority of my work is done on my local machine.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then you might want to concentrate your SAS computing power on the server. Add cores there, and set up a BI server (if not yet present), and drop the desktop installations. A centralized setup will need more attention one time while setting up, but be much easier to maintain later on.

Servers are usually better equipped with regards to storage.

Reeza
Super User
I'd say if you have access to a server you should have no problem with speed. Why are you working locally?

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation