RAXIS=AXIS1
	MAXIS=AXIS2
	LREF=1
	CREF=BLACK
	AUTOREF
;
run;
quit;

Any ideas on how I can produce the same bar chart BUT with the horizontal axis for each month (not midpoint of multiple months). 

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

No idea unless we can see your data that goes into this bar chart, although I am guessing that your variable year_month is not really a SAS date value. Please provide a portion of the data as WORKING data step code.

--
Paige Miller
SasStatistics
Pyrite | Level 9
The format of the variable is YYMMN4. so it should be date.
Hopefully someone knows how to do it, if not I will have to try do some replicating example since I am using data from a database that is not available straight away.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data fake;
    do month = 1 to 16;
        date=intnx('month','01JAN2020'd,month,'b');
        count=round(rand('uniform',0,100));
        type='Mammal';
        output;
        count=round(rand('uniform',0,100));
        type='Lizard';
        output;
    end;
    format date yymmn4.;
run;

proc sgplot data=fake;
    vbar date/group=type response=count groupdisplay=stack;
run;
--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Unfortunately with the very old GCHART procedure you have to show us the definitions of any AXIS, SYMBOL or Pattern statements you are using.

The AXIS1 definition controls the values of your horizontal axis from the code you show. To change the VALUES displayed for the tickmarks you would need to modify that definition with an ORDER= showing the values that you want.

Perhaps: Order=('01JAN2021'd to '01Jan2023'd by month)

Your months should indicate the dates, as a date literal as shown above, for the months that you want displayed. One of the nice things with SAS and use of actual date values is the option to use the BY <interval name> option to indicate the first of the month, quarter, year or what have you (time and datetime values allow other intervals like hour).

Or in the example that @PaigeMiller a similar XAXIS statement:

xaxis values=('01JAN2021'd to '01Jan2023'd by month)

The Xaxis and Yaxis statements in the newer, usually much  more flexible Sgplot, control the appearance of the axis instead of the remote often forgotten AXISn statements.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation