BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

When SAS is closes unexpectedly what is the default directory path to the SAS program files that were not saved in the normal manner?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

I do thank you @ChrisNZ for the clues.  Those examples helped me find what I was looking for.

When SAS closes due to system reboots and/or actions where the user did not have a chance to save their SAS code it is nice to have a possible rollback to those SAS program codes.  I have found this option very useful when coding SAS programs.  I am not sure if the Admins set it up like this or if the setup is a SAS default but it sure is nice.

In case I use the SAS Enhanced Editor and SAS autosaves the current version being edited to a located like this when SAS crashes.

C:\Users\&userid.\AppData\Roaming\SAS\EnhancedEditor\Autosave of rank.$AS

if the SAS program code is new to the SAS session the autosaved is named something like this, Autosave of Untitled.$AS unless the file name already exist.  If Untitled.$AS exist SAS will start adding addental information such as this example, Autosave of Untitled_{0EEFDE1D-8EE2-4F17-BD31-84B31CDD804D}.

When I change the $ to an S I have a copy of the last version of the SAS program code I was working on before the SAS session was closed un-expectantly.  Or in some cases if someone unplugs my PC. 

I hope other SAS users have been able to find versions of their SAS code in such cases as mine.  I don't like starting over when it has been mostly completed .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you are referring to EG and not SAS, your path can be seen by clicking Tools > Options > Project Recovery.

EGP files are simply ZIP files, so you can browse their contents by renaming them and look for code entries. 

If you are referring to SAS DMS, then it is up to you to save. You can sometimes retrieves bits of code from the binary files in the WORK directory if it's still there.

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

I do thank you @ChrisNZ for the clues.  Those examples helped me find what I was looking for.

When SAS closes due to system reboots and/or actions where the user did not have a chance to save their SAS code it is nice to have a possible rollback to those SAS program codes.  I have found this option very useful when coding SAS programs.  I am not sure if the Admins set it up like this or if the setup is a SAS default but it sure is nice.

In case I use the SAS Enhanced Editor and SAS autosaves the current version being edited to a located like this when SAS crashes.

C:\Users\&userid.\AppData\Roaming\SAS\EnhancedEditor\Autosave of rank.$AS

if the SAS program code is new to the SAS session the autosaved is named something like this, Autosave of Untitled.$AS unless the file name already exist.  If Untitled.$AS exist SAS will start adding addental information such as this example, Autosave of Untitled_{0EEFDE1D-8EE2-4F17-BD31-84B31CDD804D}.

When I change the $ to an S I have a copy of the last version of the SAS program code I was working on before the SAS session was closed un-expectantly.  Or in some cases if someone unplugs my PC. 

I hope other SAS users have been able to find versions of their SAS code in such cases as mine.  I don't like starting over when it has been mostly completed .

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Well done. I did not know that. Probably because I haven't had the chance to use SAS for years now and am stuck with $#!& EG.

Thanks for the update.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Just a few more tipps on the SAS Enhanced Editor's autosave feature:

• The default autosave time interval is 10 minutes. Personally I prefer a shorter interval: Tools --> Options --> Preferences… --> Edit: Autosave every 2 minutes.
  • I think folder AppData is hidden by default (Windows 7). So, some users may need to change the setting for "Hidden files and folders" in the Windows Explorer: Tools --> Folder Options… --> View.
  • If SAS crashes and a dialog window saying (something like) "SAS.EXE has stopped working" waits for you to accept to close the program, copy your current autosave files to a safe place while this window is open.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation