BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS93
Quartz | Level 8

I have a dataset I want to assign ID values based on what's stored in an "master" excel sheet I've been keeping for the relevant variables.

In this master list, variables are: year, Facility_name, facility_city, and the ID number I assigned myself. 

In the dataset I'm working with, I basically want SAS to read each row and, if it matches the year, name, and city, to assign the ID that's associated with it. 

SAS Dataset (have): 

Customer Year Facility_name Facility_City
David 2018 Appleville Grocery Smallville
Jane 2018 Appleville Grocery Smallville

John

Appleville Grocery Large Town
Kelly 2017 Sunnyille Mall Sunnyville

Master list, Excel file:

Facility_name Facility_City Year ID
Appleville Grocery Smallville 2018 1
Appleville Grocery Large Town 2018 2
Sunnyville Mall - West Sunnyvale 2018 3
Sunnyille Mall Sunnyvale 2017 4

Final Dataset (want):

Customer Year Facility_name Facility_City ID
David 2018 Appleville Grocery Smallville 1
Jane 2018 Appleville Grocery Smallville 1

John

Appleville Grocery Large Town 2
Kelly 2017 Sunnyille Mall Sunnyvale 4

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
Bring your second data set into SAS via PROC IMPORT and "apply it" in a merge or a format. If the join is on multiple values such as facility name, city and year then I'd use a join. If it's on a single field I'd use PROC FORMAT.
SAS93
Quartz | Level 8

What kind of join would it be using Proc SQL? I'm uncertain exactly how to "apply" one dataset that's smaller to another that has repeated values, if that makes sense. 

Reeza
Super User
A left or right join depending on how you order the tables I suppose, if only one table has duplicates you need to merge on multiple variables or remove the duplicates ahead of time. I would assume you'd be merging by name/city/year which doesn't have duplicates.

Examples on how to merge are here
https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.5&docsetId=lrcon&docsetTarget=n1tgk0...

Assuming both data sets have been sorted by name, city and year.

data want;
merge SASdatasetName (in=source1) ExcelFileName (in=source2);
by name city year;
if source1;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation