BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jimbobob
Quartz | Level 8

Morning Fellow SASers,

I have a field that is a concatenation of row exceptions into one observation separated by a comma example:

OBS

EXCPS

Format Applied

A

GHI, RR2P, YTZ, Z1G2P

Paid, Not Paid, Closed, Weak

B

A4H, MNL, PJF6

New, Renew, Extension

C

D334, FTR, XL1

Docs, Delinquent, Rate

D

THT, Z1G2P

THT, Weak

I can create a format with every CURRENT concatenated observation. But when a new EXCPS code comes in that hasn't been defined in the format, I still want to apply the format to part of the observation. But right now when I apply the format, OBS D, shows "THT, Z1G2P". The EXCPS field can have anywhere from 1 to up to 10 codes in the field, The observation itself is always concatenated in a Alpha-Numeric order.

Is it possible to apply a format to only part of a Observation?

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
You cannot apply a format to part of an observation. You'll need to split them (look into SCAN()) and then concatenate them back. Within the format definition do you have an 'OTHER' option? I usually code OTHER='MISSING' or OTHER='CHECKME' so that it's clear when somethings gone wrong.
ballardw
Super User

@jimbobob wrote:

Morning Fellow SASers,

I have a field that is a concatenation of row exceptions into one observation separated by a comma example:

Question: did you concatenate the rows?

If so, the approach would be to use a format that addresses each single value instead of groups and use the formatted value when concatenating.

If the value is coming to you already concatenated the split it apart and apply a single valued format to rebuild a new string.

Something along:

proc format library=work;
value $status (default=8)
'GHI'    = 'Paid'
'RR2P'   = 'Not Paid'
'YTZ'    = 'Closed'
'Z1G2P'  = 'Weak'
other    = 'UNKNOWN'
;

data example;
   str1='GHI, RR2P, YTZ, Z1G2P, ABC';
   length str2 $ 100 temp1 temp2 $ 8;
   do i=1 to countw(str1);
      temp1  = scan(str1,i);
      temp2 = put(temp1,$status.);
      if temp2= 'UNKNOWN' then put "WARNING: Unknown code of: " temp1;
      str2=catx(', ',str2,temp2);
   end;
drop temp1 temp2; run;

Note the test of the value and a note in the log about a new value found. When you see one of those you would be able to add the value into the format with a formatted value and rerun to "fix" the issue.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation