BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nabeel284
Calcite | Level 5

I have a sas data set (see excel sheet attached) where I need to answer the following 3 questions below....

since there is no month variable in the data I am not able to do a proc means to get highest profit .... any pointers would be appreciated.... thanks.... see attached data set...

Q1)  Of the 48 months in the data, which month has the highest total profit? Which month has the highest profit rate?  Show your results in a table, and allow two decimals for numbers and percentages.  ;

Q2): Of the 12 months of a year, which month has the highest profit and which month has the highest profit rate?   Are these two months the same?  If not, try to use data to explain why.  Similarly, clearly document your tables and format properly. ;

Q3):  which product has the highest profit rate in each year?  You may need to use the variable sub_category.   Create a table that shows the product and its profit rate and the year.  Format profit rate to as a percentage with 2 decimal places, e.g., 12.34%;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
9 REPLIES 9
jdykstra
Calcite | Level 5

I don't think individuals will like opening an excel file to view the data.  Can you paste a sample of your data just in your question?

nabeel284
Calcite | Level 5

there are 48 months in the data , below are the two variables that I think I need from the data

Ship date        Profit

11/11/2016      219.582  

I guess how do I get month info from **bleep** date...?

jdykstra
Calcite | Level 5

data want; set have;

month = month(ship_date); run;

nabeel284
Calcite | Level 5

hi kurt

data is quite huge to put in data lines...

I think I need to convert the shipdate variable which is in 11/11/2016 form to month for all the 48 months that are in the data and then see which month has the highest profit.

profit and **bleep**date are variables in the data. profit is numer example 214.32

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The macro from my footnotes lets you specify the number of observations, so you can limit the data step to a number sufficient to illustrate your issue.

Reeza
Super User

• Use MONTH/YEAR() to get the month/year from the date variables
  • Use PROC MEANS to summarize. 

You can actually run a single proc means to get all the results in a single step if you know how to deal with the TYPES/WAYS statements. 

This is homework, so I'll help, but not provide the answers and your pointers are above. If you need further help post what your code and answer is and a detailed explanation of what is not working.

@nabeel284 wrote:

I have a sas data set (see excel sheet attached) where I need to answer the following 3 questions below....

since there is no month variable in the data I am not able to do a proc means to get highest profit .... any pointers would be appreciated.... thanks.... see attached data set...

Q1)  Of the 48 months in the data, which month has the highest total profit? Which month has the highest profit rate?  Show your results in a table, and allow two decimals for numbers and percentages.  ;

Q2): Of the 12 months of a year, which month has the highest profit and which month has the highest profit rate?   Are these two months the same?  If not, try to use data to explain why.  Similarly, clearly document your tables and format properly. ;

Q3):  which product has the highest profit rate in each year?  You may need to use the variable sub_category.   Create a table that shows the product and its profit rate and the year.  Format profit rate to as a percentage with 2 decimal places, e.g., 12.34%;

Reeza
Super User

Example of using a format with PROC MEANS to get the desired output. 

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/0cae5568752959b035516d6ac07a20fb

nabeel284
Calcite | Level 5

thank you all - I was able to solve the problem... using proc means and the month function to change the date format to month....

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation